SOLVED How do you turn on spellcheck in WordPad?

Reaction score
As far as I have seen the spellcheck is not an option in WordPad which is a 'lite' version of Word but also pretty much a hold-over from Windows 3.x Write of the '90s, doesn't have many features. The Write.exe file still exists in Win11. WinKey + R, type write and press Enter. If not wanting to purchase a word processor program consider a free version such as OpenOffice, LibreOffice, etc., search on the Internet.

Reaction score
As far as I have seen the spellcheck is not an option in WordPad which is a 'lite' version of Word but also pretty much a hold-over from Windows 3.x Write of the '90s, doesn't have many features. The Write.exe file still exists in Win11. WinKey + R, type write and press Enter. If not wanting to purchase a word processor program consider a free version such as OpenOffice, LibreOffice, etc., search on the Internet.
Thank you. I think I had OpenOffice on this computer at one time. I'll guess it was deleted due to some update. I just went thru my apps. When I click on OpenOffice 4.1.2 it says it can't find it. I'll delete that shortcut and download latest version.

Reaction score
Good plan. For what I do with clients I prefer LibreOffice as it opens more file types, had to do that couple weeks ago for a client that had received .pages files as attachments, a Macintosh format. Only issue with either versus Microsoft Office is there's no E-Mail Client [several free on the Internet] and no comparable program for Publisher.

Reaction score
Good plan. For what I do with clients I prefer LibreOffice as it opens more file types, had to do that couple weeks ago for a client that had received .pages files as attachments, a Macintosh format. Only issue with either versus Microsoft Office is there's no E-Mail Client [several free on the Internet] and no comparable program for Publisher.
I downloaded Libre Office last night. First attempt failed. I use my phone's hot spot as my wifi connection which I am guessing contributes to download slowness. I did a restart of computer and phone, I moved items that I thought might impede data flow. Second download attempt completed in a little over two hours. Large file. 318Mb I think. Installed and called up this afternoon. I have only verified that spellcheck does function. I have checked grammar box. I suppose it is a conditioned response developed by my previous exposure to various apps that LibreOffice just exudes an intuitive feel. I very much appreciate your help on this matter. Thank you.

Reaction score
Good you got it working. Only caution or caveat, if sharing files with others you can save documents in any format desired or what they can use, usually Word/Excel formats are more universal. When I got into computer WordPerfect was the 'best' and I still have it, another was Lotus 1-2-3 and Write or later WordPro.

Ask a Question