What the heck is surreptitiously turning off System Protection?

Reaction score
Having Restore Points -- ideally, several of them -- is one of the most valuable Windows features, at least in my case because as a developer and also a "super-user" who sometimes make significant changes to my systems. Those changes are obviously risky and can leave these systems in undesirable states. So I find that the ability to perform system restores is essential.

But some unidentified behavior keeps turning off System Protection completely without my approval and even no indication that this is happening whatsoever!

Does anyone have any guesses as to why this is happening and what the culprit might be? Thanks!

Reaction score
If you DL any other system protection, then Windows security will automatically turn off, and the other will take over.

Reaction score
If you DL any other system protection, then Windows security will automatically turn off, and the other will take over.
Thanks for your helpful reply, Aputernut! But I would appreciate more info. What kind of things qualify as "other system protection"? Are you talking about 3'rd party firewalls? 3'rd party anti-malware/anti-virus software? Maybe some non-MS backup utilities (which I don't have, BTW)?

Thanks for your time and knowledge

Reaction score
I've noticed the same thing. Every now-and-then I get a message stating that system protection is turned off (or something like that, can't recall exactly what right now). So I turn it on and in a couple of weeks the message comes back.

I'm using Bitdefender, and I think that is causing it, because Bitdefender takes over all security functions. But I could be wrong...

Reaction score
Anything Norton, McAfee, Bitdefender etc. any of those that you DL Free or otherwise. Your Windows Security will automatically turn off, and by the way it's very good all by itself, if you allow it to do it's job.

Ask a Question