Computer Won't Turn On

Reaction score
Quick question: My computer simply won't turn on. I've pushed the button as many as 50 times without sucess (yes I'm stubborn). Any idea what the most likely cause is before I take it in, hard drive, switch, power cord? It works fine if I can get it turned on.

Reaction score
Could be the motherboard itself. Years ago the AT-style computers had the power switch connected to the power supply, the later ATX-style computers have the switch connected to the motherboard which in turns controls the power supply. The motherboard has continuous power to it unless the power cord is removed. One way to check on a Desktop is to look at the back and the socket for the Ethernet cable, should have a small light if power is getting to the motherboard.

Reaction score
The first thing to check is the actual board. Find the connectors on the motherboard that connect wires to the on/off button and pull them off. Then short the two pins they were connected to with a metallic object like the tip of a screwdriver. If the machine starts up, the problem is with your case switch (quite common.) If it doesn't, then try with a different power supply.

Reaction score
Is your PC a Laptop? I have found holding down the START button together with the ESCAPE button for a slow count of 30 will restart mine. I may have read that solution on this forum over a year ago!

Reaction score
Try 2 things. Disconnect the power cord and remove the CR2032 battery on board. Check not only the voltage but also the state like current. If the battery is bad replace it. If it is good wait for say 3-4 minutes. Replace the battery. Plug in the power cord and try again.

BTW on many a fancy cabinets I have found the power switches to be pretty flimsy. On a few of them I switched the Molex connectors for the power switch and reset button. Used reset to power it on. Worked in all cases.

Reaction score
Test your monitor on another computer or try another monitor on your computer.
Check ram is working try cleaning with a fiberglass contact cleaner or biro rubber.
try another power supply unit these will show power on but not run through the MB at times.
Graphics card might need contacts cleaning same method as cleaning ram.
Electrical storm can kill a motherboard.
Electrical storm can kill power supply, as well as many other components. Has the trip switch in your power board outside tripped off check trip switch in meter box.
DVD in dvd drive can stop windows loading.
usb can stop windows loading.
If you have multipul drives in tour computer the boot drive may have changed to a non bootable HDD.
Faulty cable from MB to HDD can stop computer bootong up.
File on boot drive could be missing use a dvd or usb or windows repair disc to boot.
when you start computer check keyboard lights hdd leds for flickering to ensure they are being checked prior to booting.
Ram timing in Bios could be too fast.
if amd puter ame fan mounting bracket may be broken and cpu could be fried.
CPU could be fried.
Recent upgrade may have effected your computer.
HDD could be full.

Reaction score
Test your monitor on another computer or try another monitor on your computer.
Check ram is working try cleaning with a fiberglass contact cleaner or biro rubber.
try another power supply unit these will show power on but not run through the MB at times.
Graphics card might need contacts cleaning same method as cleaning ram.
Electrical storm can kill a motherboard.
Electrical storm can kill power supply, as well as many other components. Has the trip switch in your power board outside tripped off check trip switch in meter box.
DVD in dvd drive can stop windows loading.
usb can stop windows loading.
If you have multipul drives in tour computer the boot drive may have changed to a non bootable HDD.
Faulty cable from MB to HDD can stop computer bootong up.
File on boot drive could be missing use a dvd or usb or windows repair disc to boot.
when you start computer check keyboard lights hdd leds for flickering to ensure they are being checked prior to booting.
Ram timing in Bios could be too fast.
if amd puter ame fan mounting bracket may be broken and cpu could be fried.
CPU could be fried.
Recent upgrade may have effected your computer.
HDD could be full.
also does bios work.
somtimes if the computer has hasd too many instilations it will stop working this requires flashing the bios and resetting settings in the bios but you may risk losing your windows licence if you do this as the windows license is stored in the bios.

Reaction score
If this is a desktop computer and nothing will power on, the first thing that comes to mind is the power supply, but it could also be the case power switch which someone already mentioned.

Reaction score
well the terminals can be crossed to rule out the awitch but I have never seen a faulty switch in 22 years.

Reaction score
My computer wouldn't start today, I have a switch between my computers and while my back was turned the mrs switched the switch to another computer lucky I found it before I pulled the puter appart Mrs has dementia - I think.

Ask a Question