SOLVED Computer won't reboot from Windows(endless waiting after initiating)

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post on the forum. I've been searching for a solution for this for weeks now and it's getting really frustrating.

When I initiate a reboot of the computer the usual blue screen with programs shutting down pops up.

... but when it's done with that it just stops. The blue "restarting" screen with a white spinning wheel is still there and never changes.

Something is keeping my computer from rebooting and I don't know what. Currently I'm just forced to hold the power button to force the power off.

How can I diagnose what is keeping it from rebooting? Is there a log I can look at or a program I can use? I'm ok with using 3rd party programs.

EDIT: Sometimes it is possible to make it reboot if it has recently started up, which makes me think an application is at fault.
I found a topic about rebooting that advises you to try rebooting with an elevated cmd prompt and the command "Shutdown /R". I'll try that next time I need it rebooted.

I'm still very interested in diagnosing what's causing it. If you know any tools I can use to do that don't hesitate to answer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I went to gpedit.msc and activated 'Display highly detailed status messages' so I can give a better description of what's happening during the reboot. If you have another idea I'd still love to hear it.

So far I haven't encountered the error again, but it's just a matter of time.

Reaction score
Hi AtotehZ,

might be a sign that you are not running the latest version of Windows 10 and need an upgrade?. Other than that, it could be something to do with your power settings but that is just a guess?. :)

Reaction score
Wouldn't the error be consistent if it was the power settings?
I have a fully updated version 1909.
After looking into version 2004 it looks like the last issues were recently ironed out so I can try to update to that.

EDIT: Ironically according to the new post by BigFeet it seems power settings is where I need to investigate next :) Even though I'm not sure I agree it has much to do with power, but instead startup/shutdown procedures.

Reaction score
I've tried disabling it. If I don't get the issue in the next couple of weeks I'll consider it fixed :) Thanks.

Reaction score
Do the upgrade as I suggested earlier, if that fails to solve it, check the power settings again!. :)

Reaction score
Wouldn't the error be consistent if it was the power settings?
I have a fully updated version 1909.
After looking into version 2004 it looks like the last issues were recently ironed out so I can try to update to that.

EDIT: Ironically according to the new post by BigFeet it seems power settings is where I need to investigate next :) Even though I'm not sure I agree it has much to do with power, but instead startup/shutdown procedures.
It's not really a power setting. It's saves the state of the computer so when you start up the computer it boots faster. It's similar to what hibernation does. As a matter of fact, it relies on hibernation to work (hence the reason it's probably located in power settings). Problem is it can cause boot and restart issues. On one of my PC's is causes it to black screen on boot. Not every time, but every 2 or 3 boots. I know others where it affected shutdown. When I have a PC with shutdown or boot issues, that's the first thing I try.
Updating to 2004 shouldn't be necessary right now. I still have two PC's I won't upgrade yet because of some old hardware in them. I'd leave that as a last resort if you're not planning to upgrade yet.

Reaction score
I still haven't had a single error since I made the changes... I think the changes helped and I'm happy with them, but I'm not positive which one helped with what.

There was the:
  • Power settings to modify shutdown and startup.
  • Upgrade from 1909 to 2004.
  • Trojan miner I purged.
So... To sum it up it could've been different things that fixed it. Things did start to run more smooth even before I removed the trojan.
The reason I'd missed it is that malwarebytes didn't inform me that my definitions were out of date and I forgot to check manually.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Reaction score
Updating to 2004 shouldn't be necessary right now. I still have two PC's I won't upgrade yet because of some old hardware in them. I'd leave that as a last resort if you're not planning to upgrade yet.
Aside from one thing that made me wonder, 2004 has been better than 1909. I don't remember what it was that made me raise an eyebrow right now. I don't know if the support for older hardware is all there, but mine is reasonably new. 9900k+2080Super and equivalent hardware.

Reaction score
As there is no mention otherwise, it refers to Windows 10 Pro. Gpedid.msc and quick start is found in the Pro version alone. Is my assumption correct?

Reaction score

If you want help with the fast boot thing try opening a CMD window and punch in: powercfg -a
This will tell you the current settings if you're not able to just enable/disable it in power settings.

Last edited:

Ask a Question