How to add a wifi printer in Windows 10

Reaction score
I have added several printers to W10 over the last nearly 2 years. I agree that article is useful and covers most things.

Upgrading W7/8.1 to W10 nowadays ( as distinct from the early days of release 10240) usually recognizes any printer that is already installed.

One thing with some brands of printer is that the maker asks for the software to be installed BEFORE plugging the printer into USB.

Some WiFi only printers the opposite must happen, the printer must be on the network first. I have found that connecting the WiFi printer using WPS then lets the software load without error. One can correct the printer connection later.

For HP printers, W10 has a couple of utilities in the Store that do the basic functions quite well.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As Tim points out.
Windows 10 is so robust in its' features and functionality now that .....
For simple printing, to your wireless or USB printer, it's hardly necessary to do anything.
In some instances, in order to get the full functionality or AIOs (print, fax, scan, etc.) it may be necessary to install the full featured driver package.

Just completed yet another custom clean install (from ISO) of the latest insider preview.
Didn't pay any attention to the fact that my wireless Epson WF-3640 was turned on (sometimes it's not)
Checked Devices and Printers and it was already there automagically.
I don't particularly like the port it uses for default as all my network printer have statically assigned IP addresses but that's an easy fix.

Reaction score
For HP printers there is a app on the Store for AIO HP printers. Used to be two separate apps, print and the other stuff.

The static address thing...I do that and that is what I meant by "One can correct the printer connection later."

Reaction score
As Tim points out.
Windows 10 is so robust in its' features and functionality now that .....
For simple printing, to your wireless or USB printer, it's hardly necessary to do anything.
In some instances, in order to get the full functionality or AIOs (print, fax, scan, etc.) it may be necessary to install the full featured driver package.

Just completed yet another custom clean install (from ISO) of the latest insider preview.
Didn't pay any attention to the fact that my wireless Epson WF-3640 was turned on (sometimes it's not)
Checked Devices and Printers and it was already there automagically.
I don't particularly like the port it uses for default as all my network printer have statically assigned IP addresses but that's an easy fix.

Just one comment about clean install:
I have an older HP Probook 4510s and had to do a clean install to rid myself of instability under WinXP and Win7. This machine was unstable at birth.
Installing clean Win10 from a purchased DVD, my machine runs GREAT!
My only issue was it did not recognize my wifi printer. So, I connected USB printer to machine and the driver installed automatically.
I'm really hoping Microsoft will solve this bug, eventually.

Ben

Reaction score
I have found that if you do that, attach your WiFi printer usb to get the software to load then it can be de-installed ( the printer not the software) and re-installed WiFi. This was with HP printers.

Reaction score
.... For HP printers, W10 has a couple of utilities in the Store that do the basic functions quite well.

Yes the HP AiO (All in One) app is the best. Used it for my iPad. It was an older model that didn't support AirPrint.

Ask a Question