SOLVED Losing Static IPv4 address.

Reaction score
A bit long in the tooth now - but hopefully understand basic N/W stuff!
Have always had my Desktop with a static IP Address - old habits die hard. Several times per week I now find that the IPv4 entry is deleted in Adapter IPv4 settings - resulting in no network connectivity. I manually re-enter the address and all is well for another few days.
This may be happening on reboot from a system update.

I'm not on "Insider" mode on this system.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you have your PC connected to a router? It may be easier to leave your PC set to obtain an IP address automatically (via DHCP), but to assign it a static IP address in your router config. This way, it should avoid any conflicts (which may be why it reverts automatically).

Reaction score
I make my printers and NAS static that way and my PCs have always been DHCP. My ISP has handed out the same IPV4 address for over 10 years.

I presume that LongLiveDos' static IP was routable?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I guessed that @LongLiveDOS was referring to local IP addresses, rather than the WAN IP (I could be wrong about this!). Hopefully with a bit more info we can get to the bottom of it :).

Reaction score
Thanks for responses. I'm referring to my local IP address. I've used static addresses for my main desktop, printers and network storage for years with no problems, so this is a problem that's cropped up during the last month. I've recently cleared my Event Logs so will await the next occurrence that then pretend I know what I'm doing and look at the logs with a knowing nod. I've been using this address for some years and the Router is the most common UK model in use. The address is well clear of the DHCP address pool on the router. All those users on DHCP address allocation (laptop, Tablets Phones etc ) remain connected OK.
The IP address field in the Adapter's/Property/ IPv4 window is cleared - that is the symptom. The Gateway address remains correct, as manually input. All I do to fix the problem is re-enter the IP static address for my desktop.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Is it possible that you are perhaps using some third party software utility on a regular basis that has, as part of its' process to inspect network components and possibly resets some elements to default?

Reaction score
Do you have your PC connected to a router? It may be easier to leave your PC set to obtain an IP address automatically (via DHCP), but to assign it a static IP address in your router config. This way, it should avoid any conflicts (which may be why it reverts automatically).
DITO it is much easier to have the IP set to static on your router and your units set to DHCP, Your router may have had an update that is preventing you from setting an IP outside of the DHCP Range?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, it does sound like something is clearing the network settings inadvertently and Windows shouldn't do this (ever!), unless it's a bug. Have you got any diagnostic software installed, that may be trying to be "helpful"? Do let us know what the event log shows, as I'm really interested to see what this could be.

Although not an explanation, an easy fix would be to assign the static IP from the router side of things :). Technically there's no reason why it shouldn't work well when they're outside of the DHCP pool, like you've done, but I haven't found this to be as reliable on consumer level hardware for some reason.

Reaction score
Thanks all for your responses. As happens every time I visit the dentist - the pain has vanished! The IP address disappearance has not recurred.
I had been trialling some USB resident Technicians portable apps and maybe have sampled some rogue versions - Thanks Ian, I think your suggestions are correct, and all your comments very helpful. My current router is a UK Consumer level one with fairly limited features, but a router defined static address makes a lot of sense.
Thanks for your patience - have a look at Leo Computers - on which I cut my teeth, and you'll allow me be a bit confused with all this modern TCP/IP stuff!!

Ask a Question