How to change Windows10 startup sound

Reaction score
Hi guys

I've looked up many information about how to change startup sound but none of them is woking.
I need your help!

Firstly, I edited the registry option as below
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels\ and Select the Key SystemExit , please set the ExcludeFromCPL from "1" to "0"

Then 'Windows Logon' 'Windows Logoff' and 'Windows Shutdown' options appeared on 'sound' settings.
But there is still no 'Windows Startup' option.

There is one more option 'Play Windows Startup Sound' check box right under the all the sound options
of course I checked it.
Now, well, Windows startup sound is activated but it is just same like Windows 7 startup sound.

Windows startup sound is playing now but I want to change it.
Some people say I have to change 'WIndows Startup.wav' in 'C:\Windows\Media' folder.
But it is not changable file so I can't change it.
More importantly, I played that file and it is not even 'Windows 7 startup sound'.
It can be played but.... there is no sound.

Anyone knows how to change this, please help me out!!
Many thanks.

Lee.

Reaction score
This used to be SO damned easy in WinXP. I just went to Control Panel> Sounds> and scrolled through the list to either change it or just shut it off (as usual) The same went for E-Mail notifications etc. If you know your way around that MIGHT be an option... I just don't know.
I can't FIND a Control Panel (immediately) in Win10. Damned annoying !!! I also want to be rid of the awful pictures that appear on the Startup Screen before I log in... but cannot find a way to do it. There's TONS of stuff that are seemingly inaccessible - but which used to make XP a joy to work with. Win10 is a retrograde !! A bit like the Star Wars prequels, where the technology was far better in THEM than it was in the originals !

Reaction score
This used to be SO damned easy in WinXP. I just went to Control Panel> Sounds> and scrolled through the list to either change it or just shut it off (as usual) The same went for E-Mail notifications etc. If you know your way around that MIGHT be an option... I just don't know.
I can't FIND a Control Panel (immediately) in Win10. Damned annoying !!! I also want to be rid of the awful pictures that appear on the Startup Screen before I log in... but cannot find a way to do it. There's TONS of stuff that are seemingly inaccessible - but which used to make XP a joy to work with. Win10 is a retrograde !! A bit like the Star Wars prequels, where the technology was far better in THEM than it was in the originals !
You can change the startup screen pictures in the Settings menu, in Personalisation. I don't like them either and decided to set mine to the Windows XP Bliss background.

Reaction score
I only found a "Settings" option called "Lock Screen." I've never touched it because I wanted to UNLOCK the Screen... but having chanced it... there's no option to use one of my own pictures. Oh well... it's only visible for a few seconds anyway... so not much point messing with it. As for SOUNDS... that's been a lot easier... but I still haven't found a "Windows Startup" option to even attempt to change it !!

Reaction score
upload_2016-12-10_12-23-18.png

That's odd, @Smiffy. I have it right here.

Reaction score
Yes indeed... just what I was expecting (or hoping for) but believe it or else... that BROWSE Button does NOT appear on MY Screen, and neither does the picture that adorned my Screen beforehand. The lack of an OK, Cancel or Apply option Button makes me wonder whether my choice will be saved. I know that "app" is short for Application (or Computer Programme) but sadly it commonly refers specifically to Tablets or Phones... neither of which I use.
But thanks for showing me where my Win10 is failing.

Ask a Question