SOLVED How to Delete this on Startup

Reaction score
See screen shot
Screenshot (1).png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Browse to the path, shown in the message and delete it from there.

Reaction score
As a User with Administrative rights I checked that file on my computer and was able to right-click and Delete it, got 2 messages to confirm it. BUT, it will usually just get recreated later on for whatever reason Windows wants. It's so small at 1KB it can be ignored if saving space is an issue. One can right-click the file and choose Edit to see the contents or locate another desktop.ini to do the same. I think those files, that exist in a number of Folders, can be considered as an index of the Folders' contents.
Mine in C:\Users\bxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu:

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21786

This is mine in the Pictures Folder:

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21779
InfoTip=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-12688
IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-113
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll
IconIndex=-236

Also, right-click the Taskbar, click Task Manager, click the Startup tab [if not showing click More Details at bottom left] and assure it's not showing in the list, uncheck or Disable if it is.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As a User with Administrative rights I checked that file on my computer and was able to right-click and Delete it, got 2 messages to confirm it. BUT, it will usually just get recreated later on for whatever reason Windows wants. It's so small at 1KB it can be ignored if saving space is an issue. One can right-click the file and choose Edit to see the contents or locate another desktop.ini to do the same. I think those files, that exist in a number of Folders, can be considered as an index of the Folders' contents.
Mine in C:\Users\bxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu:

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21786

This is mine in the Pictures Folder:

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21779
InfoTip=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-12688
IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-113
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll
IconIndex=-236

Also, right-click the Taskbar, click Task Manager, click the Startup tab [if not showing click More Details at bottom left] and assure it's not showing in the list, uncheck or Disable if it is.
Thanks Bighorn. I'm away from my PC so will check it out in the morning. It was not a big deal, just a nuisance.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The problem doesn't seem to be related to the presence of the desktop.ini file in that location.
It seems to be more the fact that because it is there, at startup the computer is launching Notepad in an attempt to open the file for reading.
As I suspect, everyone has the same hidden file, located in the same place and no one else seems to be seeing this issue at startup, that might suggest that some how the file has become corrupt or otherwise had some properties changed. Since these files are normally hidden, system files you might try resetting the Hidden and System attributes with the following command from an administrative command prompt.
attrib +h +s "C:\Users\Gary\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\desktop.ini"
See if that has any impact on the problem after your next reboot.

Reaction score
The problem doesn't seem to be related to the presence of the desktop.ini file in that location.
It seems to be more the fact that because it is there, at startup the computer is launching Notepad in an attempt to open the file for reading.
As I suspect, everyone has the same hidden file, located in the same place and no one else seems to be seeing this issue at startup, that might suggest that some how the file has become corrupt or otherwise had some properties changed. Since these files are normally hidden, system files you might try resetting the Hidden and System attributes with the following command from an administrative command prompt.
attrib +h +s "C:\Users\Gary\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\desktop.ini"
See if that has any impact on the problem after your next reboot.
No change. Still appears

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you browse that path to that file and right click it and choose properties.
Select the "Security" tab and confirm that your user account has full control "allow"
Note the image below, all three accounts listed have full control and using the "Advanced" button, reveals that my user account is also the "Owner" of the file.
It might be necessary for you to take ownership of the file and edit permissions to grant proper access (full control) to minimally those three accounts....
Yours
The administrators group
System.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Can you browse that path to that file and right click it and choose properties.
Select the "Security" tab and confirm that your user account has full control "allow"
Note the image below, all three accounts listed have full control and using the "Advanced" button, reveals that my user account is also the "Owner" of the file.
It might be necessary for you to take ownership of the file and edit permissions to grant proper access (full control) to minimally those three accounts....
Yours
The administrators group
System.

View attachment 8331
Thanks very much for your interest and assistance. My computer savvy neighbour fixed it. Can't explain what he did but it worked.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. Glad you got it fixed.
Always good to have a neighbor with some tech skills around.

Ask a Question