How to exit BIOS

Reaction score
I am running Widows10 and have been pestered with updates. This last session never seemed to end, it would get to 71% or 87% and after a while just freeze up. While trying to sort it out I mistakenly pressed DEL and it went into the stupid BIOS thing and I can't get back to normal.
Question: How do I get out of the BIOS thing and back to normal. If you can keep it in Kindergarten language my 78 year old brain might have a chance.
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Bios.PNG

Reaction score
Hi john. Could you give a clip, or a more detailed description, of what you mean by the "Bios thing"

Reaction score
Hi John! Have you tried booting into advanced startup mode? You will have several options there to recover Windows. Here's ways to recover W10 from MS Community. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options
Here's ways to get to advanced startup mode. https://pureinfotech.com/access-adv...hoot-fix-pc/#advanced_startup_windows10_setup
PS I have a 79 year old brain:)
If your PC isn’t loading Windows 10 and you don’t have the operating system installation files, you can use the following trick.

1. Start your computer and follow the POST, when Windows should begin loading, press the power button to shutdown your computer.

2. Repeat the previous step twice, and in the third restart the operating system should enter into the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE), where a number of diagnostics will be performed to try fix any booting issues, but you will also get an option to access the Windows Startup Settings.

Reaction score
G'day Dave, I have an ASUS desktop computer' and every time I start up I get a message at the bottom of the screen saying "Click DEL to go into BIOS ". While trying to sort out the Windows 10 update which had frozen up. I accidently pressed Del. All I want to do is get back to normal, I have clicked EXIT a million times but can't get rid of this BIOS thing.At the top of the page it says "ASUS UEFI BIOS UTILITY=Advancs mode. I have been into those links Gary gave me above but. still no joy, thank goodness I have my trusty Lap Top.

Reaction score
Ok. It looks lioke the OS installation went wrong, or there is a problem with the HD,
Try first booting with the keyboard disconnected, this sometimes works.
Also whilst booting, (with the keyboard connected of course, 9 the ESC key. It may get you into the advanced menu.
last effort, whilst in the bios, can you disable the secure boot feature?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I have an ASUS desktop computer
What's the actual make/model of your desktop? While in the BIOS, have you tried to reset to default settings then click save and exit?

But I'm with davehc.....that either your OS install/update (FCU) went sideways (which happens a lot) or your HDD has/is going bad.

Reaction score
Press the F10 key. You then might get a confirmation to exit BIOS. Select Yes if you do. Then your computer should reboot into Windows.

Reaction score
Hi! @John Simpson did you try on-off 3 times that I suggested? That should get you into the advanced startup mode.
When you reply, please post as much information as you can. What have you tried? Are you able to boot into windows?

Reaction score
Yes Gary I have tried the on/off thing about 4 times and just keep getting the same screen back, I have clicked Exit on about 20 different pages dozens of times and it just wont go back to normal start up or Windows etc. If I can get back and put my documents and photos onto memory sticks, I think I might put an axe through it.

Reaction score
Easy way to get hold of your private stuff.
Download, and burn to a DVD, a live Linux distribution. I would recommend Linux mint
https://linuxmint.com/download.php

Don't get scared, its is a very easy process. Boot it up DO NOT INSTALL. It takes a little longer from the DVD. When you arrive at the desktop, you will find that you can get into the Windows OS and extract your files to a safe place.

Reaction score
Yeh Dave but,,,,,,,, getting back to Desktop is my main problem, I have been trying to sort out for about 3 days. Thanks to all the contributors, I am not an expert and can usualy manage most things but, getting out of the BIOUS thing and back to Windows has me crawiling up the walls at the moment.

Reaction score
Does the drive listing in the BIOS show your storage devices? If they are not listed in the BIOS something has happened to the drives and the machine will not boot.

Reaction score
Ok. Re my last post. You obviously are using another, working computer. You can download the Linux OS with that. Not 100% sure, but I think when you boot it, it may bypass the bios problem.

Reaction score
Hi ! The only thing I have left is a clean install. A clean install is the best install you will ever get. Yuppers it's a lot of work; but if you maintain your PC after a clean install, you shouldn't have any more problems.
If you have data that you need to preserve, then a Linux OS is a great way to save your data and @davehc has given you a great link. Here's link by Tim Fisher for a clean install. Let us know how things go.
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-2624904

Last edited:
Reaction score
Gary they are interested in retrieving their files first.
Yes sir I understand that and Linux is a great tool for that. I have a docking cable I use, and I also have UBUNTU on a DVD. They are great tools for saving data. Team work is a good thing!;) We have to realize that that the OP doesn't have the PC knowledge that we have and we have given him a lot to digest.

Ask a Question