How to find my backed up files

Reaction score
Hi,
I have created (again) a full system image backup to my external drive and made a system restore disk to DVD. I got the message that the back up is complete, etc.

My problem is that I can't find the backed up files on my ext. drive later. In “Security and Maintenance- Recovery”, it shows the date of my latest backup but not the file size.

My question: Is there a way to name my back up files before making the backup or anything that will distinguish it from the other files?

I can see the various dates of files on my ext. drive but not the backed up files.

The MS Help section tells me how to make the backup but very little about restoring.

If anybody has any suggestion, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks in advance. Ann

Reaction score
Yes, Download Macrium Reflect Free and use it to make your backup images, Windows back up is not reliable to use. Then create backup folders on your external hard drive IE C Drive Full images or C Partition or Data files ext then direct the backup images to the correct folder then in the Advanced setting for the backup there is a setting where you can put a Comment about the backup set. The file names will be cryptic but you know what you have by the folder its in and the date it was created and by your comments. A very good tutorial to help you get started and how to restore.

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice, Clintlgm. I have made a full system image and a restore DVD with Macrium Reflect. It works so much better!
Thank you!

Ask a Question