SOLVED How to get rid of the annoying End of Support Banner in WORD I am using vs. 2010 Office Home and Student

Reaction score
Word program started sending a Yellow Banner re. How to get rid of End of Support Banner in Word and I would like to stop this banner from appearing in my Word program I am using.

Reaction score
So far no problem but my backup plan is to change to the free LibreOffice. Since I don't need Outlook E-Mail on most of my computers not a problem. LibreOffice can open a number of file types and save as several.

Reaction score
Word program started sending a Yellow Banner re. How to get rid of End of Support Banner in Word and I would like to stop this banner from appearing in my Word program I am using.
I did read all the suggested options for getting rid of this annoying banner in Word, but I'm not sure if I could do some of the suggested options on how to remove the banner. If there is a simple answer please include me in the updated solution.

Reaction score
Hi nownthen,

press the Windows logo key + r and type "regedit", then navigate this path:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0\ClickToRun called UpgradeAdvertised

and set the value to '0' - problem solved!. :)

Reaction score
Hi nownthen,

press the Windows logo key + r and type "regedit", then navigate this path:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0\ClickToRun called UpgradeAdvertised

and set the value to '0' - problem solved!. :)
Hi Wolfie, I tried to do as you suggested but when I got to the last item called UpgradeAdvertised ----that command was not there.

This is what appeared
1608244541589.png

Reaction score
I have Office 2010 on all my pc's but never have seen that banner. Officially the support ended on October 13th,2020 , however I still get updates even two months after (just got them on patch Tuesday).
I have the Office 2010 Professional plus Version, maybe that makes a difference.

Reaction score
The registry path should be: (There may be slight variations in the path titles - 16,for example, could be 15)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\policies\microsoft\office\16.0\common\officeupdate
You should see the key, or, make one Enter Value name\HideUpdateNotifications
Value type Reg Dword
Enabled value 1
Disabled value (which you want ) 0

Reaction score
I thank you both- Wolfie and davehc - I did try to follow both sets of instructions but could not do it. So I will just keep clicking on the banner to turn it off. I appreciate you both trying to help me but it didn't work for me. I will mark this as Solved even tho I couldn't do your instructions. Don't want to take up any more of your time.

Reaction score
Not wasting my time
But if it suites you you could turn of updates for “other” microsoft products in the settings?

T_J

Reaction score
My 2012 64-bit Dell 660 W10 v2004 has MS Office Starter 2010, with NO End of Support banner in Word or Excel. On Dec 9, my Dell installed > Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB4486698) 32-Bit Edition. Dell factory installed Office Starter 2010 in 2012, when Dell was W7 (I ordered W7 instead of W8).

Last edited:

Ask a Question