SOLVED Another Friday Update 8/30/2019 KB4512941.

Reaction score
Some folks on the Microsoft forum, which seem to be mostly Dell users, are having problems because when the lock screen goes blurry and the logon dialog is supposed to appear, it doesn't and they cannot log onto their systems.

Maybe today's update will deal with it although I saw nothing in the description referring to such a situation. I told them to update their video drivers or force the basic video to see if that helps. One poster noted the LogonUI.exe was running with the full CPU utilization..

Reaction score
Your advice was probably close to the mark. I use Dells exclusively, and have not experienced their problem. On two machines I use an automatic logon. Oddly, they become blurred for an instant, before logging in.
Another curiosity was that the update was offered as "optional". I went ahead anyway, and, although optional, it obviously found a lot of things it needed to take care of - one of the longest update processes I have had.
One thing they can try, which works for me is:
settings - personalisation - scroll down to "Show lock screen background picture on the sign in screen" and turn it off.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No problems here although I do not use Dell's.... Update went really smooth and fast also

Reaction score
The blurred background during logon was turned on by 1903. If you don't want it, use the Settings-Personalization-Colors-Transparency setting to turn it off.

My update took quite a while also. It is installing another Servicing Stack and the list of fixes is long. I wish they would say why the update was optional.. maybe it was for the fixes mentioned and not needed by folks not having any of those problems?

Reaction score
I do like the transparency, particularly with one of my very small screens. The logon picture, on the other hand, is for me, a waste of time.
Comes down to personal choice, I guess.

Ask a Question