How to get the drive letter assigned automatically ?

Reaction score
Every week I clone my SSD to two other SSDs; when I connect the first of those target SSDs, a drive letter is assigned to it, and so it shows in File Explorer, and cloning can proceed. The second target SSD appears only in Disk Manager - where I can allocate a drive letter to it, and then, it shows in File Explorer, and I can clone to it. I want a reason for that discriminatory behavior, or better still, a remedy to make drive letter allocation as automatic for the second as for the first SSD clone.

Reaction score
hmm, I do just the opposite, I give my back up drives letter at the end of the alphabet so that windows can't change them.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'd try using @Clintlgm suggestion of permanently, manually assigning drive letters (different drive letters like X and Z) to your two external portable drives so as two avoid any possible conflicting drive letters being assigned automatically

Reaction score
You can also permanently assign those drives the letters A and B as hardly any computer uses those drive letters anymore (these were originally assigned for floppy disks). I have two of my backup drives assigned those letters and never had any problems with them....

Reaction score
Also keep in mind that Windows frequently will, by default, assign Mapped network drives starting with Z: and working back up the alphabet. I have 2 NAS drives on my Router with Y: and Z: assigned.

Ask a Question