SOLVED How Change Drive Letters for Windows 10 "Local Disk" assignments?

Reaction score
Win 10 has assigned drive letters I:\, J:\, & N:\ to something called "Local Disks".
The problems is that my backup program, Acronis, wants drive J:\ since that is where I stored backups on my old computer.
I know how to normally use "Managed Disks" to change drive letters but I, J & N do not show up????

Reaction score
A picture of your Disk Management window might help, but do you have any card readers or some other device which might be taking those letters?

Reaction score
A multi card reader is the most likely thing. My PC has one and those drive letters are assigned.

The individual 'drives' should show up in device manager and you should be able to disable them.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Acronis, wants drive J:\ since that is where I stored backups on my old computer.
OR ....
You could just go into Acronis and edit the backup to point to a different backup location.

Reaction score
Thank you all for providing assistance.
I found that the problem is that when HP assembled the Laptop, they evidently assigned drive letters I:, J:, N for two recovery partitions (SDD & HDD) & an EFI partition. I am working with them to see what can be done.
Also, Acronis, my backup software, apparently does not have a way to reassign drive letters, but I am working with them, even though thou they want to charge me $20, to see if they have another solution.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Which version of Acronis True Image are you using?
As far as I know, every edition should allow you to edit a backup to redirect the destination location to a location of your choosing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF you've configured a backup already, select that backup in the left column and then in the main pane of the windows click the destination side of the arrow. That should allow you to browse to a new location / drive letter / folder.

Reaction score
Trouble, you saved me. Thank you. Thank you. I don't know why Acronis did not have that in their Knowledge Base or User Manual. I guess it is just too obvious.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Long time user of Acronis so I've had to learn my way around the interface.
Not too fond of versions 2015 and 2016. I'm holding my personal machine at 2014 but have 2015 on my wife's computer and 2016 on my spare computer where I run the insider preview builds of Windows 10.

Ask a Question