SOLVED How to move music from Win 8 to Win 10

Reaction score
I've looked in My PC and went to hard drive and searched through program files and all associated files for pictures, video and music are empty. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I suppose, it's possible that you may have created a new user profile at some point during the install.
IF that is the case then your missing files may be located in
C:\Users\OldUserName (where OldUserName was the profile folder containing you files from your former account.
IF not you might check C:\Windows.OLD\Users and see if there are files in any remaining profile folders there that have not been transferred into the equivalent folder in Windows 10.

Reaction score
I suppose, it's possible that you may have created a new user profile at some point during the install.
IF that is the case then your missing files may be located in
C:\Users\OldUserName (where OldUserName was the profile folder containing you files from your former account.
IF not you might check C:\Windows.OLD\Users and see if there are files in any remaining profile folders there that have not been transferred into the equivalent folder in Windows 10.

I went to pc and clicked on C: and looked into Program Files. Selected Windows Media Player thinking music would be in there - not. Then in Program Files (x86) the same nothing. When trying C:\users I get a time C:\user.js runtime error, then my user login name and nothing happened after the top green filled the slot. Next I tried Pulic Music, pictures and still nothing. When trying C:\Windows.old\users there was nothing after selecting user login name. Most were empty. I tried Program files, (x86), users and still nothing. I know that music and pictures should still be on the hard drive C:, but finding them is the mystery.

Reaction score
I went to pc and clicked on C: and looked into Program Files. Selected Windows Media Player thinking music would be in there - not. Then in Program Files (x86) the same nothing. When trying C:\users I get a time C:\user.js runtime error, then my user login name and nothing happened after the top green filled the slot. Next I tried Pulic Music, pictures and still nothing. When trying C:\Windows.old\users there was nothing after selecting user login name. Most were empty. I tried Program files, (x86), users and still nothing. I know that music and pictures should still be on the hard drive C:, but finding them is the mystery.

As per your idea I set up another user account is not my case. Both user and admin are the same as before install of Win 10. Is there another way ?

Reaction score
Be very careful. We have seen several folks which did find their files in the archive location and subsequently moved them to the current folders. After that they disappeared completely.

So don't move any file by copy them and you might even copy them to a backup location, if you find them.

Does your system have quite a bit of space available on the current OS partition? We have seen and a Win 10 install does have the capability of using additional off drive storage if it is available.

Open Settings, System, Storage and check the usage of the different partitions. You can left click each partition and see what is stored there.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I know that music and pictures should still be on the hard drive C:, but finding them is the mystery.
I suppose the first order of business would be to test your theory that your music and pictures are still on your hard drive.
I recommend using a third party search utility
http://www.voidtools.com/
I recommend the portable version as it does not require an installation, simply download the zip file to a folder on your desktop, extract the zip file and run Everything.exe (as administrator).
Use that to search your computer by simply typing in the top text box
*.mp3 (assuming your music files are in MP3 format
AND OR
*.jpg (assuming your pictures are mostly in JPEG format)
That should give you a PATH to the files if they are present on your drive.

Reaction score
I suppose the first order of business would be to test your theory that your music and pictures are still on your hard drive.
I recommend using a third party search utility
http://www.voidtools.com/
I recommend the portable version as it does not require an installation, simply download the zip file to a folder on your desktop, extract the zip file and run Everything.exe (as administrator).
Use that to search your computer by simply typing in the top text box
*.mp3 (assuming your music files are in MP3 format
AND OR
*.jpg (assuming your pictures are mostly in JPEG format)
That should give you a PATH to the files if they are present on your drive.
Your suggestion to 'run' is not an option since there is an install notification although I tried your suggestion. As for searching for items for .jpg and music I found them but when trying to open them to view I get a message I need permission. Being signed as admin isn't this automatic? As for audio there is a list going back to 2013, but no sound is coming out, the load is spinning in Groove Music-still waiting.If these items are being shown how do I get them visual state in Windows 10 ? Look forward to your response and thanks for the tool.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I found them but when trying to open them to view I get a message I need permission. Being signed as admin isn't this automatic?
I suppose that would depend on where you "found them", in what location and whether or not your current profile (user name and password) has explicit permissions to access the parent container subfolders and files.
So where did you "find them"?
Right click the folder that contains the files you are trying to access and choose properties, select the security tab and inspect the contents of the section labeled "Groups or user names:"
IS your account explicitly listed and if so, click the edit button and inspect the level of access it reports

Reaction score
Some of the files found using Everything show as being C:\users\name\music\itunes\itunes media\podcast\name.I looked into voidtools support and found export interesting, when selecting a music item other than itunes I selected export but here is where I become confused, but wait after looking into the music folder there seems to be a complete transference of items-music, podcast. It seems pictures also have transfered. I guess selecting export has been the answer. Thank you for your voidtools suggestion.

Reaction score
Here I am again with another issue. Using voidtool I did find all videos but trying to use the same method as with music there seems to be a snag. I am using VLC media player with a new update to the program. I can see the file listed in VLC but can't get it to play. When trying Windows Media player I get an error. Searching for the answer I found Windows Media does not support .mp4 files. Most of the answers suggest using QuickTime, but I am more interested in using VLC media play which is up to date. What do you suggest? If I must use QuickTime I will but most of videos are not in QuickTime format. I await your suggestions.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I am using VLC media player with a new update to the program. I can see the file listed in VLC but can't get it to play. When trying Windows Media player I get an error. Searching for the answer I found Windows Media does not support .mp4 files
I'm not familiar with that particular format, I believe it is a video or movie format, but......
If it is something that you have purchased, it might be DRM protected

Ask a Question