How to Password Protect a File or Folder

Reaction score
Here are some instructions I got from the Internet:

Microsoft Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 10 users
Unfortunately, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 do not provide any features for password protecting files or folders. You need to use a third-party software program to accomplish this.

If you want to encrypt a file or folder, this can be done by following these steps:

1. Select the file or folder you want to encrypt.
  2. Right-click the file or folder and select Properties.
  3. On the General tab, click the Advanced button.
  4. Check the box for the "Encrypt contents to secure data" option.
  5. Click Apply and then OK.
Note: If the "Encrypt contents to secure data" option is not selectable and grayed out or you do not see the option at all, you have a version of Windows that does not support this feature [my italics]. It is also possible that the hard drive where the files are located is not formatted as NTFS, [it is, it is an SSD] as this is a requirement for the encryption feature.​

In my case, "Encrypt contents to secure data" is greyed out, as it is for every file I try. I am on Windows 10 Post-Anniversary Ugrade, recent re- update (please see the attachment). The oddity is, I have a file which I protected in that way two or three months ago (before I installed the SSD, if that makes a difference). I don't want to use a third part software.

EDIT: I have tried this approach on a folder on my D: drive (an internal rotational drive) with the same failure.

So how can I do it please?
Winver capture.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Stevekir I see that you are using Windows 10 Home. Maybe file encryption is only available in the Pro and Enterprise versions?
If you really want to encrypt files, I guess you could use the native Bit Locker.
I've never used Bit Locker. if you decide to use it Bit Locker, I would use it with caution what files you plan to encrypt. A system image or backing up the the files before encrypting would be a good idea should you have any problems opening encrypted files.

https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/windows/whats-new/whats-new-windows-10-version-1507-and-1511

Last edited:

Ask a Question