How to Record Incoming, Outgoing Speech (Online Conference - Webinar)?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am wondering how could I, on Windows 10, record online business conference - audio based meeting? I would like to record BOTH voices: my own speech into the microphone (outgoing audio FROM my computer) and speech from other person or multiple other participants that is/are talking with me on online meeting (incoming audio TO my computer)? The desktop software I am asking for must be free of charge ( ! ) and must record unlimited length of meeting.

I reviewed over 20 different software programs, did my best to find solution on my own, even Windows integrated one, but every single software I checked seems to record my own speech only: so whatever I speak into the microphone. In the recorded file MUST be recorded also other speech(es) from other side(s).

Could anyone help please?

Regedit32

Reaction score
That ought to be possible using Audacity
You'll need to enable stereo mix via your audio settings. If you've done this before to test your headset before, you'll recall there is a box you check and you can hear your speech in your headphones.

With stereo mix enabled, you then use Audacity to record the stereo mix channel.

Note: Many states or countries prohibit recording of conversations without express permission of the third party being recorded. Thus, to avoid any legal issues you'd be wise to inform whomever you are conferencing with that you intend on recording it!

Regards,

Regedit32

Regedit32

Reaction score
Are you certain you have enabled stereo mix and were recording the Stereo mix channel?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hmm,

Can you post your computer specifications please.

Make, model, version of Windows you are using and soundcard details [ also your headset details ]

Regedit32

Reaction score
So have you gone into the mic settings and checked the box next to listen to this device? If you have, when you speak you'll hear your voice in your headset - kid of annoying, but that means when you're recording stereo mix channel you'll be recording both your speech and that of those speaking in the Webinar conference.

If that's not possible then you'd need to run two instances of audacity - ideally on two pcs. One recording outgoing speech, and one recording incoming, then splice the two recordings together in audacity to create a single file. In Audacity you'd need to ensure you were using Windows WASAP, and stereo mix - and assuming you have the latest version of Audacity you could make use of the LV2s to create a mp3 format recording.

Reaction score
I have only one computer.

I did a test of checking Listen To This Device too. Then I did a test of unchecking it. Whatever I do, it records my own speech (outgoing voice from computer) only.

Tried different webinar software such as GoToMeeting, Skype, Vedamo, GoToWebinar, WebEx etc.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I was under the impression Webinar had a built in recording facility - but I could be mistaken.

Back in the day Audacity and Skype were a match made in heaven. I used to record calls with my brother working in the UK at the time and share them with our parents and other siblings.

I guess these days with more paranoia in the world and law changes in regards to recordings, and the fact certain software developers want to make a living there may have been changes made to applications to make it harder to record as you are wanting to.

Would anyone else in your conference chats be willing to use Audacity to record their end, and likewise you record yours, then email each other the files so you can splice them to create a complete recording of the conference? That definitely can be achieved in Audacity - its how a lot of music lovers in the past created Karaoke style recordings, and others added beats or synthesized audio to their tracks.

I have not used Audacity in a long while, but they used to have a very active Forum or software support too, so perhaps if that is still active others there may have suggestions to help you.

I never double checked your headset online - but I know when I got one that plugged in via a USB port that caused me all kinds of grief, given it was relying on onboard sounds, rather than my (at the time) expensive sound card - so I switched back to your standard cable headset with the 3.5mm plugs. If your headset is a USB one that may be the issue, so if you have a cheap cable one laying around maybe try that to see if things improve - and if it does improve consider purchasing a quality one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Some time ago I bought a program called Total Recorder so I could get some songs from a DVD movie. It can be set to record anything heard from the speakers/headset and save in a few different formats. There is pretty good quality but not necessarily good enough for audiophiles [but then they are quite picky]. There may be similar free programs on the Internet.

Ask a Question