How to use Windows Defender Scan Offline Tool

Reaction score
Hi Gary.

I think your post is just a little off target for this thread. More appropriate in the windows 10 support section - just my view. you could, if still able, copy and paste and delete this one if so inclined?
Hi @davehc Thanks for your reply and suggestion. I think I'll leave it up to Admin. to make that decision to move. I have N/P with it being moved to appropriate section of the forum.;)

Reaction score
Hello to all, I am running w10 ver1809. Every 2-3 months I perform an WD Offline scan not because I am getting a notice to do so but as a matter of maintaining my system. This is where I need some feedback; recently while trying to run a WD offline scan from settings this system does not perform the process of scanning but instead the scan will revert to the RESTART stage; totally bypassing the scan process. I have contacted MS and while they see the issue their solution is redownload W10 claiming there is “corrupt file” that is preventing the offline scan to proceed to completion. So MS, while operating in the remote acess mode had me install a USB flash in the 3.0 USB port and create an offline scan start up. This option did not work because the 64bit download from the WD offline site did not recognize the flash drive and therefore could not perform the necessary formatting. Has anyone experienced this? BTW all w10 updates download w/o any issue. Any thoughts would be appreciate.

Ask a Question