Hyperlinks in hotmail

Reaction score
In W10 , hotmail app, I received an email with a hyperlink that I needed to use. I clicked on the link and that brought an "open with" box using an email client or a browser, etc. I clicked a bit early and got myself into a browser. Now, I would like to change that choice I made but when right clicking I don't get an "open with" line or a "use this application" line to make the change.
Is there a setting in hotmail that I'm not seeing to change this or do I need to go to the full hotmail.com program to find this or is it somewhere else that I don't know about?
I've looked in a number of settings within Windows and within the hotmail program but I haven't seen anything that works. Certainly, this isn't the biggest problem but it does become a frustration.

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by 'Hotmail app'. Are your referring to the Outlook Client provided with Windows 10 or Outlook? In either case, if there is a link in the body of an email, there is no need to right-click to open a link. Just left-clicking on it should open your default browser. Of course that depends if the link in the email is highlighted as a link or appears as plain text. If it is plain text you will have to highlight it, copy it and paste it to your browser.

If the link doesn't work, you may want to visit the Default Apps in Settings and make sure your browser is set as default. You can chose which browser is default, but to determine which app will respond to a link (protocol) you'll have to go further down the Default Apps page and click on 'Choose Default app by protocol'. Find HTTP and make sure your browser is set correctly.

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by 'Hotmail app'. Are your referring to the Outlook Client provided with Windows 10 or Outlook? In either case, if there is a link in the body of an email, there is no need to right-click to open a link. Just left-clicking on it should open your default browser. Of course that depends if the link in the email is highlighted as a link or appears as plain text. If it is plain text you will have to highlight it, copy it and paste it to your browser.

If the link doesn't work, you may want to visit the Default Apps in Settings and make sure your browser is set as default. You can chose which browser is default, but to determine which app will respond to a link (protocol) you'll have to go further down the Default Apps page and click on 'Choose Default app by protocol'. Find HTTP and make sure your browser is set correctly.

Hotmail app must equal the outlook client email application within W10 because I don't use the outlook program. I said I inadvertently clicked the hyperlink to open in a browser then I right clicked to see if there was a way to change the selection I made. I do not want it to open in a browser at all. The initial choices when I first left clicked on the link were 2: open in browser or open in email. I hit the wrong one and it opened in the browser ( that's not what I wanted) so the link "works" but not the way I want it to work. I right clicked to see if there was a choice to open the link in a different program. Nothing doing that way.

Since I don't want it to open in a browser, your second paragraph doesn't appear to apply. I have already set the default browser; however, I don't know if deleting the browser, itself, is the way to fix this little problem. But that seems a bit dramatic to fix an inconvenience.
Is there another avenue to use ?

Reaction score
Ok, I'm a little curious at what other app you want it to open with, but here's how you change it.

Go to Settings, System, Default Apps. On that page, scroll to the bottom and you will see 'Choose default apps by file type' and 'Choose default app by protocol'. Use the protocol and go down the list on the left to HTTP and HTTPS and set them for your program.

Reaction score
Ok, I'm a little curious at what other app you want it to open with, but here's how you change it.

Go to Settings, System, Default Apps. On that page, scroll to the bottom and you will see 'Choose default apps by file type' and 'Choose default app by protocol'. Use the protocol and go down the list on the left to HTTP and HTTPS and set them for your program.

Since I opened an email link, I wanted to open it in a mail program not a browser. I appreciate the settings, system..... Obviously, I was looking in the wrong settings page. I've made the change and we'll see if it works.

Reaction score
Not to be a pain, but why would you want a hyperlink (a link to somewhere on the Internet), to open with a mail program? Mail programs are designed to do one thing. Read mail. Mail content is designed with certain underlying format and characteristics that are completely missing in a simply hyperlink.

I understand that your first click gave you the option of either an email or a browser, so I'm guessing that the link was actually an embedded or attached separate email. If it was, be careful. Unless you know what it is, it could be an email that contains harmful content.

Now that I think I understand you problem You do not want to change the HTTP and HTTPS protocols to a different program. They should definitely be set for a browser.

Could you upload a screenshot with your personal information blacked out or provide the actual hyperlink? It would help so that we can resolved your problem properly.

Reaction score
I called it a hyperlink as a general term. It was a highlited link that, when I clicked on it, offered 2 choices: internet or mail. With a cup of coffee in my hand I hit the wrong choice. That's all. After making the change, everything seems to be working fine. Only trouble now is finding settings pages in different places going to different settings. I was hoping control panel would take care of that but maybe not. I'll have to explore more when I have time.

Ask a Question