SOLVED Outlook 10 hyperlinks not working with Chrome

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered before, because I've been researching it all day and have tried at least a dozen different fixes. However, every situation I've found was just slightly different than mine, so let me see if someone has the magic fix I desperately need.

I have a desktop running Windows 10, Outlook 10, and Google Chrome and have no problems with hyperlinks at all. I get an email with a hyperlink, I click on it, and it opens Chrome with no problem at all.

I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 10, installed Office 10 and Google Chrome because I like redundancy. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"... as they say.

My hyperlinks in Outlook do not work on the laptop. I get the now famous "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer... blah, blah, blah.

Can someone PLEASE help this old guy out and steer me in the right direction for the fix? Many thanks!

Reaction score
By Outlook 10 do you mean MS Office Outlook that is part of Office 2010 ? That is an ancient version.

What version of Chrome do you have on both the old and new machines?

Reaction score
In answer to the two responses above, yes, I am running the latest version of Windows 10, and yes, Outlook is part of Office 10. I'm aware that is outdated, but it does everything I need it to do. Chrome is Version 61.0.3163.100 (Official Build) (64-bit).

Incidentally, I changed my default browser to Edge, and had the same problem, so I'm back to Chrome.

I only have this hyperlink problem on my laptop. The desktop works fine. Thanks for any suggestions.

Reaction score
I found a guy with a similar problem on another thread and his solution was to switch from Outlook to Windows Mail. I tried it and the hyperlinks work, so I guess that's what I'll use for now on my laptop.

Ask a Question