I accidently "unpinned" the folder icon from taskbar. How do I get it back?

Reaction score
Slip of the keyboard. I unpinned the folder icon that comes standard with Win 10 on the taskbar. I replaced it with File Explorer but it's not the same format. The folder icon that comes with Win 10 on the taskbar brings up the Libraries on the left, then the right side, I think, had folder and file listings. Don't remember - I did this about a month ago.

I know one of you knows exactly what I need to do. I just can't find it (it would help if I knew what it was called)

Thanks for any help.

ckbeme

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You need to right click "File Explorer" and choose pin to taskbar.
Click Start Button, Click All Apps, scroll down to Windows System, expand that and Right Click File Explorer.
If you are using the very latest build then you may need to use the pin to taskbar option that is now under the "More" option.

Reaction score
I did this once before on another person's advice. This just gives me the standard File Explorer. Maybe you guys didn't
really pay attention to what the display was with the original icon. From my post, "The folder icon that comes with Win 10 on the task bar brings up the Libraries on the left, then the right side, I think, had folder and file listings."

And no, I'm not using the latest builds. Dunno what's up but a few weeks ago I stopped getting updates. I've been to busy to look into it cuz I'm building a new system and had to RMA some parts.

Do you still have ur original folder icon on ur task bar? If so, can you do a screen print an send it back to me?

Thanks.

Ck

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep still have my original folder on my taskbar and that's it.
How it displays is determined by how you have it configure in the folder view options you can set it to either "This PC" or you can set it to "Quick Access"

Reaction score
My . I keep saying I need to take a Windows Tutorial so I can learn a lot of the hidden features of 10. I'm gonna play with this and see what else I learn. Thanks, Trouble.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You need to right click "File Explorer" and choose pin to taskbar.
Click Start Button, Click All Apps, scroll down to Windows System, expand that and Right Click File Explorer.
If you are using the very latest build then you may need to use the pin to taskbar option that is now under the "More" option.

????? I AM A REAL NOVICE...SPENT 3 HOURS TRYING TO FIND GOOD ADVICE ABOUT GETTING 'WORD' BACK TO THE TASK BAR AFTER I ACCIDENTALLY UNPINNED IT...WITH EXPERT ADVICE...THEN MY WIFE SIMPLY SAID, SCROLL DOWN ON THE LEFT OF THE TASK BAR UNTIL 'WORD' IS FOUND...CLICKED AND BINGO! BACK ON THE TASK BAR...LOL UNHAPPY AND THEN A HAPPY WITH THE WIFE AND SIMPLICITY....

Ask a Question