I built a "bare bones kit" from Tiger Direct and have had various problems.

Reaction score
The problem PC started out with Windows 7 Home Premium and has been upgraded to Windows 10, via the downloaded upgrade. I am still learning to use it, but today when I turned it on it wouldn't boot, but displayed a screen that said: "Windows has detected a registry/configuration error, choose Command Prompt only, and run SCANREG" When I attempted to do this I got another screen that said: Y2000RTC- this version of the software only for use with DELL BIOS. I eventually was able to get the following info:
file missing or corrupted:
C:\windows\HIMEM.sys
C:\windows\DBLBUFF.sys
C:\windows\IFSHLP.sys

Microsoft Windows 98
(C) copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999

When I did get into the Command Prompt, I could not get the command "SCANREG" to execute
Please help!

Reaction score
Courage, Bill! It isn't hopeless.

Right click the taskbar and select Task Manager-- File--Run New Task. A box will appear, and you need to type powershell into it, and you need to check the box giving you Administrative Privileges. At the PowerShell command line:

Type sfc /scannow into the window and press the [Return] key. The scan may take some time and will end with one of three results. Windows did not find any integrity violations and Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and repaired them mean there are now no corrupt files, but Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some (or all) of them indicates a problem.

In this latter case, type (or copy and paste) DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth into the PowerShell window and press the [Return] key. This will download files from Windows Update to replace the corrupt ones and, again, this may take some time.

Reaction score
I am a little confused by your reference to Windows 98. When did you build this system?

If it was recently, what system did you build and where did the Windows 7 software come from?

Ask a Question