SOLVED I can't get past the Welcome screen

Reaction score
I installed W10 from W7 and it says my PC was compatible but when booting it, it shows the welcome screen and when I click Next, it just freezes. It's rebooted itself a number of times and does the same thing.
One time, it did give me the troubleshooting options - obviously I don't want to wipe my disk but every option that it gave me otherwise, it then said it couldn't do it! What's the point of that?
Anyway, can anyone tell me what I can do? I have another HD with W7 on that I'm using now.
I'm downloading the iso of W10 now in case I'll be able to use that to repair or reinstall it but I'd like some advice first.
Thanks.

Reaction score
How bad can Microsoft be? I'm trying to create a boot drive and whenever the progress gets to 94%, it goes back down to 60% and stays in this loop. Can I sue them for basically ruining my hard drive?

Reaction score
I am getting the impression Windows 7 systems seem to have special problems with the upgrade. Possibly caused by older devices or drivers or even external devices. Something like an anti-virus may also be involved.

Free space on a hard drive can effect the upgrade since it has to store the image of Windows 10 and create an archive of the Windows 7 install.

Try to get rid of anything you don't need and hopefully you will find what is causing the problem. But for now it sounds like the upgrade as not worked and you still have Windows 7? If not are you given an option to rollback?

Reaction score
The problem is I cannot access that HD at all to do anything. All I've managed to is create a partition on the drive, install W7 on it in the hope I could do something from there.
I see the new Windows folder and the old one but I can't do anything with them. I now have W10 on a flash drive but I can't make it boot from start up to repair it. Even when I set it to boot first, it won't recognise it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The problem might be in how your boot media was created.
My suggestion would be to download the ISO from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Choose Windows 10, the first item in the first drop down (not single language at the bottom)
Next choose your language and your bit version (32 or 64 bit to match your system architecture or in the case of an upgrade, to match your currently installed version of Windows).
That will provide an ISO that will upgrade (or clean install) either or both Windows 10 Pro and Home.
Once you have downloaded the ISO you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
OR
Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/
Using Rufus you should be mindful of your system's BIOS (UEFI versus Legacy and MBR versus GPT regarding your hard disk schema).
For UEFI / GPT

Rufus.JPG

In the case of legacy BIOS simply change #2 to "MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI
AND
Make sure that #3 reflects NTFS

Reaction score
Thanks for that but I don't know if you saw my last comment. I've basically done all that (I don't have a spare DVD with me to use at the moment) but it doesn't work. It doesn't give the option to download it as an iso, it only transfers it to the flash drive once its downloaded, as per the tool you have to download first.

Reaction score
I tried using the flash drive method and it again didn't respond, even after trying all three scheme types.

Reaction score
I've got as far as installing W10 (after having to format my drive as there was no other way it would allow me) and now I'm left with the problem of not being able to connect to the internet because it hasn't got the right driver for my WLAN adapter... I've tried a couple of methods that I found online (command prompt delete and another) but nothing has changed.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you don't have the driver for your wireless adapter, can you connect the computer using an Ethernet (RJ45) cable to see if that works.
What wireless adapter are you using?

Reaction score
I don't have a cable long enough but I've now gone back to W7 as it's the worst OS that has ever existed.
Thanks for your help though.

Ask a Question