Can't get past Build 9926 on windows 10

Reaction score
The computer is currently on build 9926, we've tried going into the control panel to use the windows update but apparently the update servers aren't working on the current build.

We've also joined the Windows Insider group, that hasn't done anything.

Also have tried using the following 2 ISO's:

http://microsoft-news.com/download-windows-10-rtm-build-10240-iso/ (Did nothing after restarting the computer)

http://microsoft-news.com/download-windows-10-build-10547-iso/ (Requires a key after starting up, which we have no idea what it is, because it isn't listed on the site)

Not sure if this has anything to do with it either, but apparently windows isn't activated on the computer http://imgur.com/DB3XF8f and when we click "Install the latest version of windows" we get this message. http://imgur.com/dOzWDQ8

Starting to panic since in 9 days the build 9926 won't become bootable http://www.ghacks.net/2015/04/23/windows-10-builds-stop-booting-when-they-expire/ so if you could please let me know what to do that'd be great, any help is appreciated!

Reaction score
Reaction score
Salvo,
Let's start from the very beginning.
How did you install build 9926 ?
More importantly, is 9926 activated.
If it has not been activated, you can't and won't get new builds.

And, if you install the new build 10547 with its ISO file, it won't get activated either because you started with a build (9926) that was NOT activated.

Last edited:
Reaction score
More importantly, is 9926 activated.
If it has not been activated, you can't and won't get new builds.
It's not activated because it is a pre-release build. Build 10240 was the build released to manufacturer that requires activation.

Reaction score
IIRC 9926 was back in the spring 2015. I have to ask...why are you still using it? I remember it as a very early Insider build, full of bugs and many missing features. I am not surprised it won't update now.

I faintly remember that 10130 was a build that was mandatory to be able to go further.

I wonder if you will have to go back to the previous 'paid for' OS and then get the upgrade or go back and then join the insider program if it is still open to new entrants.

Reaction score
I wonder if you will have to go back to the previous 'paid for' OS and then get the upgrade or go back and then join the insider program if it is still open to new entrants.
All that is needed is downloading the Windows Media Builder application. And once installed the user will have the choice to enter their activation key or rejoin the insider program again. You can find the link for rejoining the Insider Program in Windows Update settings.

Reaction score
It's not activated because it is a pre-release build. Build 10240 was the build released to manufacturer that requires activation.

Incorrect. All " pre-release" builds did get activated.
If they were updated through Fast ring, activation is automatic.
It they were installed though ISO, activation was by using the generic product keys.

When build 9926 was released in Slow ring, MS also released its ISO with a generic product key. 9926 installed with the ISO would be activated using that product key.

Each time a new build was released in Slow ring, an ISO and a generic product key were also released for that build.

Only during month of mid June and early July did MS stop releasing Insider Previews, and pulled down all the preview build ISOs and deactivated all generic product keys in preparation for Windows 10 RTM July 29th release.

After July 29th, all subsequent Insider Previews were released through Fast ring only and no more ISOs and product keys were released.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Incorrect. All " pre-release" builds did get activated.
Think of it how ever you like. As long as Microsoft included the keys in the installation and we didn't have to worry about activation, I will stick to what I said for easy reading. You don't have to make everything so difficult.

Reaction score
Think of it how ever you like. As long as Microsoft included the keys in the installation and we didn't have to worry about activation, I will stick to what I said for easy reading. You don't have to make everything so difficult.

I would not have said anything if you did NOT quote my reply.
You called me out, I responded.

You said " It's not activated because it is a pre-release build ".
That is absolutely wrong.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You're the one ask if it was activated. You know whether it was or not by the deadlines presented by Microsoft. That question should not have been ask a user because with that build activation was outside of user control (aka my words, activation not available).

Reaction score
The windows build isn't activated (look in the imgur picture above), and we have no idea how to activate it because it won't let us access the store.. (in the other imgur picture above)

Reaction score
You're the one ask if it was activated. You know whether it was or not by the deadlines presented by Microsoft. That question should not have been ask a user because with that build activation was outside of user control (aka my words, activation not available).

I asked the OP, not you.
You have anything useful for the OP, reply DIRECTLY to the OP.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I do not believe that NOW, you can activate any of the old preview builds at all.
NONE, what-so-ever.... as I recall, Microsoft made a statement as to this, something to the effect that none of the previously well known activation keys would work at any point after a certain date.

Reaction score
How can I activate build 9926?

Unfortunately, you can not any more.
Microsoft has pulled down all generic product keys.

If you have a genuine qualified Windows operating system such as Win 7 SP1 or Win 8.1 Update 1, you can have a FREE upgrade to Windows 10.
Do you want to do that ?

Just remember one thing, it will be an Upgrade install of Windows 10 over your current genuine operating system.
In other words, you cannot have both unless you purchase a Windows 10 license and dual boot with your current operating system.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I asked the OP, not you.
You have anything useful for the OP, reply DIRECTLY to the OP.
I can see right now we are going to have a problem. I don't have to respond directly to the OP to be helpful in a thread. You should know this if you are not new to forums. But to let things cool a bit I will add you to my ignore list for a while. That way I don't see any of your ramblings whether right or wrong.

Reaction score
But to let things cool a bit I will add you to my ignore list for a while. That way I don't see any of your ramblings whether right or wrong.

Wonderful. Do that.

You said I should not ask the OP if 9926 was activated or not.
Has it occurred to you that the problem lies on whether 9926 is activated or not ?
As it turns out, it is not activated. THAT is why he can not update to new builds.

You answer to the OP anyway you want as long as you do NOT involve me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you can not any more.
Microsoft has pulled down all generic product keys.

If you have a genuine qualified Windows operating system such as Win 7 SP1 or Win 8.1 Update 1, you can have a FREE upgrade to Windows 10.
Do you want to do that ?

Just remember one thing, it will be an Upgrade install of Windows 10 over your current genuine operating system.
In other words, you cannot have both unless you purchase a Windows 10 license and dual boot with your current operating system.

Alright, well my friend had windows 7 previously installed on the same computer she is using but a hard drive/SSD malfunction caused her to get it repaired by someone and they installed windows 10 on it! Do you have any idea on what we can do? :/

Ask a Question