Can't get past Build 9926 on windows 10

Reaction score
Alright, well my friend had windows 7 previously installed on the same computer she is using but a hard drive/SSD malfunction caused her to get it repaired by someone and they installed windows 10 on it! Do you have any idea on what we can do? :/

I'm sorry. But why do you want to do anything about it ?
Windows 10 is the most current Windows operating system. What's wrong with that ?
Do you mean your friend wants to go back to Windows 7 ?
Perhaps I do not understand what you mean ?

Reaction score
I'm sorry. But why do you want to do anything about it ?
Windows 10 is the most current Windows operating system. What's wrong with that ?
Do you mean your friend wants to go back to Windows 7 ?
Perhaps I do not understand what you mean ?

Because a week from now, the build that she is using won't boot.. so she won't be able to access her computer I guess! And honestly there's nothing wrong with it, she just wants to use anything that will work! But we're just not sure how to fix the problem or what to do to get windows 10 working properly again.

Reaction score
Tried the media creation tool but it didn't work, thanks anyways
I don't know what you are trying to accomplish, but there is no reason why that shouldn't have worked. Save your data and install fresh with a RTM build. Afterwhich you will have a choice to rejoin the Insider Program or insert your activation key.

Reaction score
Because a week from now, the build that she is using won't boot.. so she won't be able to access her computer I guess! And honestly there's nothing wrong with it, she just wants to use anything that will work! But we're just not sure how to fix the problem or what to do to get windows 10 working properly again.

Are you saying your friend got the computer back with build 9926 installed ?
Did your friend take it to a computer repair shop to do the repair ?
If yes, take it back. Tell them you want your Windows 7 back.
They have no right to install something that is not and cannot be activated.

Also, to avoid misinterpretation, please don't say Windows 10 if it is actually a preview build.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Alright, well my friend had windows 7 previously installed on the same computer she is using but a hard drive/SSD malfunction caused her to get it repaired by someone and they installed windows 10 on it! Do you have any idea on what we can do? :/
Well, if I was your friend, I would seriously think about suing the person who repaired her computer. She could not have authorized someone to install a beta operating system, in place of her full version operating system. I'd also be very suspicious if it won't update. There is zero reason that you couldn't activate, upgrade, or use the media creation tool.

Reaction score
It seems the best course of action would be to get Windows 7 re-installed. And then properly upgrade to Windows 10 from there. If the machine had Windows 7 on it, there should be a COA sticker for that OS somewhere on the machine.

Reaction score
I don't know what you are trying to accomplish, but there is no reason why that shouldn't have worked. Save your data and install fresh with a RTM build. Afterwhich you will have a choice to rejoin the Insider Program or insert your activation key.

Sorry I never made this clear earlier, but with the link you gave me the only thing that we could download from that page was the Windows 10 ISO and not the creation tool. But alright, not really sure how to re~install windows 7 but we'll try and get it figured out! Thanks for all the help btw, it's very much appreciated!!

Reaction score
Are you saying your friend got the computer back with build 9926 installed ?
Did your friend take it to a computer repair shop to do the repair ?
If yes, take it back. Tell them you want your Windows 7 back.
They have no right to install something that is not and cannot be activated.

Also, to avoid misinterpretation, please don't say Windows 10 if it is actually a preview build.

Thank you.

My friend's dad installed the update to the preview build 9926, and this was about 4~5 months ago! and thanks for all the help aswell!

Reaction score
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home
Quoted text from the three linked pages within that page.
  1. If you need to install or reinstall Windows 10, you can use the tools on this page to create your own installation media using either a USB flash drive or a DVD.
  2. If you need to install or reinstall Windows 8.1, you can use the tools on this page to create your own installation media using either a USB flash drive or a DVD.
  3. If you need to install or reinstall Windows 7 you can use this page to download a disc image (ISO file) to create your own installation media using either a USB flash drive or a DVD.

I just entered my COA sticker code and this is the message I get afterward.
Product confirmation
The product key is eligible for Windows 7 Professional SP1 COEM

Select product language
You'll need to choose the same language when you install Windows. To see what language you're currently using, go to Time and language in PC settings or Region in Control Panel.
Links valid for 24 hours from time of creation.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My friend's dad installed the update to the preview build 9926, and this was about 4~5 months ago! and thanks for all the help aswell!

Salvo,
Is the Windows 7 come pre-installed in the computer when it was bought ?
If your Windows 7 product key sticker is affixed to the computer, it is a pre-installed (OEM) Windows 7 product key.
If that is the case, you'd better have an installation media created before all this problem arose. You need that to reinstall the Windows 7.
You cannot use the recovery partition either because it has been rendered inoperable since insider preview build 9926 was installed.

There is a Microsoft website where Win 7 users can download their ISO files. BUT, that only applies to the Retail versions. The program requires right away the Win 7 product key before ISO can be downloaded.
It will reject the pre-installed Win 7 product key.
THAT is a fact.
I entered my OEM product key and it was rejected.
This is the error message I received after entering my product key.
Win 7 ISO download Error OEM key.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home

I just entered my COA sticker code and this is the message I get afterward.

Can't find the COA sticker anywhere or the Product key :/
Salvo,
Is the Windows 7 come pre-installed in the computer when it was bought ?
If your Windows 7 product key sticker is affixed to the computer, it is a pre-installed (OEM) Windows 7 product key.
If that is the case, you'd better have an installation media created before all this problem arose. You need that to reinstall the Windows 7.
You cannot use the recovery partition either because it has been rendered inoperable since insider preview build 9926 was installed.

There is a Microsoft website where Win 7 users can download their ISO files. BUT, that only applies to the Retail versions. The program requires right away the Win 7 product key before ISO can be downloaded.
It will reject the pre-installed Win 7 product key.
THAT is a fact.
I entered my OEM product key and it was rejected.
This is the error message I received after entering my product key.
View attachment 1223

Honestly got no clue, my friend bought it off someone! Couldn't find any stickers on the computer showing the product key either. So what should we do now? Try and find a store that sells a windows 7 disc?

Reaction score
Can't find the COA sticker anywhere or the Product key :/

Honestly got no clue, my friend bought it off someone! Couldn't find any stickers on the computer showing the product key either. So what should we do now? Try and find a store that sells a windows 7 disc?

Even if you can find the product key "sticker" I don't think it will do you any good.
I may be wrong, but it has become apparent to me you don't have the Windows 7 installation media for reinstall.
Do you ?

And as I have said in my last reply, the Microsoft website for Windows 7 ISO download will not work for your pre-install version.

The only alternative is to buy a Windows 7 software which comes with the installation DVD and a genuine product key. You can then use it to do a Clean Install.
In Canada, Newegg still sells them.
Do you know which version of Windows 7 this computer was running ?
Home Basic ? Home Premium ? Ultimate ? Professional ? Enterprise ?

Be careful if you go online looking for one. There is a danger of people selling counterfeit or used Win 7 software.
I am not saying they are all crooks. I bought a Win 8 Pro upgrade version from eBay and the product is 110% genuine.

There is an outside chance, but the chance is slim to none.............
Contact the computer manufacturer and ask if they still have a set of your version of Windows 7 Recovery Disks. If they have, BUY the set. The cost is minimal and it's well worth the money spent.

Last edited:
Reaction score
"The only alternative is to buy a Windows 7 software which comes with the installation DVD and a genuine product key."
If you can get one it would probably not be one that already contains SP1. So you'd be looking at a very long slew of downloads from Windows Update AND you'd end up with an obsolete O/S. I agree with David above about being very careful about getting the O/S from an unknown source on the 'net.

It might just be faster and end up being more reliable just to buy a retail Windows 10 Home with media and wipe the whole machine and redo it. Much more likely to end up with a reliable setup with none of the problems that come up in this forum.

But...if this pc is old enough to have come originally with Windows Vista then you still might have problems with W10.

Reaction score
Yes, buying a Windows 10 might be the best alternative.

Clarification :
Newegg.ca sells Windows 7 with SP1 included.

Ask a Question