I need someone to clarify my future actions: Migrate SSD While Retaining One Key Recovery Features

Reaction score
Hi, i found this tutorial How to create a USB recovery drive and use drive to recover Windows 10 from Lenovo's website but I think it's generic solution to all Windows 10. That's why I ask here.

I'm planing to replace my SSD with new one, together with the Recovery Partition (so that the one key recovery features still available). My laptop can only has 1 concurrent SSD (due to connector cable missing). I have 32GB thumbdrive for temporary use for this operation. I don't mind to loose my current data/files.

I need guru's here to confirm my future actions whether it will success or which part is wrong.

Step 1: Click Windows icon, search "Create a recovery drive"
Step 2: Select my thumbdrive as target and complete the wizard
Step 3: Shutdown laptop, replace the SSD with new one. Make sure thumbdrive still connected to laptop
Step 4: Boot the laptop and press F12 so I can choose boot drive (my thumbdrive)

This is my guest for Step >5:

Step 5: The wizard will ask me to partition and format my SSD (due to new SSD)
Step 6: Partition my SSD into two and format both of them (am I going to be asked complicated questions like deciding MBR or any jargon keywords?)
Step 7: Select partition 1 to be targeted restore disk. Follow wizard until complete
Step 8: Boot into windows
Step 9: Repeat Step 1 but select partition 2 as target. (Do I need to keep my thumbdrive connected?)
Step 10: Remove thumbdrive. Now my partition 2 is a valid recovery partition

Reaction score
When you use a Recovery drive made with Win 10, after you install the new drive, boot to the USB drive. You use the repair tools and look for a recover from drive option. This will put your system back in a factory configuration.

What that factory situation will be is, of course, based on how it came from the factory and was Win 10 set up that way originally. Making the recovery drive does create a Win 10 image from your current install. I like to redo my recovery drives after each build upgrade.

Reaction score
Thank you for you reply.

"Making the recovery drive does create a Win 10 image from your current install"
Oh I thought the process of "Create a recovery drive" will copy image from recovery partition. In other words, its better if I remove all my games and unnecessary apps before "Create a recovery drive", juist like when using imaging tools (eg Acronis)

Reaction score
When they got Windows 10 in a good configuration, they started just placing OEM images for their software in the Image partition. It is used with the Win 10 recovery drive to get back to factory specs but the Windows 10 image is done on the fly. If you check the USB drive, you can see the different sections and images within.

If your system is earlier than the current system, it may still have an OS image so it would not be good to use anyway.. So it depends on your configuration as to how it behaves. If you have a new drive, you can play with the install and see what happens.. ;)

Reaction score
The image in this situation is strictly a Win 10 image. When we say factory configuration, it is like you just opened the box from the OEM.

Reaction score
Thank you. I think I understand now. Windows Recovery Drive is the same tools like Acronis True Image or AOMEI Backupper. Even my recovery partition corrupted/erased, I can still perform the "Create a recovery drive" since it will create image front he current running system.

Reaction score
Acronis will create a system image of your current configuration. It will contain your installed software and everything else so you can't even tell you changed drives.

The Windows Recovery drive will not replace your personal software but put you back to a new install, except it will have the latest Win 10 build version you were running when you made the recovery drive...

Reaction score
I see! Just curious (not too important for my case), will Windows Recovery Drive retain any registry tweak that I had modified?

Reaction score
Thank you for your super fast reply! Windows Recovery Drive must be very clever to differentiate all tiny things and knowing which registry I have touched

I'm glad I open an account here and ask this question. Your explanation really makes me understand.

Reaction score
Hi,
After a Windows 10 update I have a continous loop which goes Windows Logo, Attempting to undo changes to your computer, black screen and round again. Unfortunately my understanding of issues such as this is pretty much zero. Any help in getting out of this loop appreciated. Thx.

Ask a Question