SOLVED Xbox Live services needed?

Reaction score
I don't have an Xbox and don't use my computer for gaming. Windows 10 Settings includes a Gaming group and within it is the Xbox Networking setting menu. It shows Xbox Live services "Up and running." Is this necessary for anything on my system?

I found the following services with their status & startup type:

Xbox Accessory Management Service. not running, Manual (trigger start)
Xbox Live Auth Manager, Running, Manual
Xbox Live Game Save. not running, Manual (trigger start)
Xbox Live Networking Service, Running, Manual

I don't notice any performance issues but my hard drive seems to run sometimes for no reason. Can I disable any or all of these services without harm?

Thanks.

Regedit32

Reaction score
None of the Services you have mentioned are needed, if you are not using XBox.

I never use it myself, and uninstall it each time I do a Feature Update of Windows 10.

If you do not intend on using XBox you can also manually remove the Services by using the Service Control Manage command-line tool:
  1. Type cmd into the Cortana search field, then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together simultaneously
  2. When the User Account Control dialog appears, click Yes, to allow an Command Prompt (Admin) to open
  3. With the Administrator: Command Prompt dialog now open, at the prompt type the following four commands, pressing Enter after each command to execute them:

Code:
    SC Delete XblAuthManager

Press Enter key, then type the following command:

Code:
    SC Delete XblGameSave

Code:
    SC Delete XboxGipSvc

Code:
    SC Delete XboxNetApiSvc

Press Enter key, then type exit and press Enter key to close the Administrator: Command Prompt

Sample image

cnd.png

4. Click Start and scroll down the list of applications, then right-click on XBox and select Uninstall

Note:
    To remove all XBox packages, like the gamebar etcetera, you will need to run an Administrator: Windows PowerShell console:

5. Type PowerShell into the Cortana search field, then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together
  6. When the User Account Control appears, click Yes to allow Windows PowerShell (Admin) to open
  7. Now at the prompt, inside the Administrator: Windows PowerShell console, type the following command:

Code:
    Get-AppxPackage *xbox* | Remove-AppxPackage

Press Enter key to execute the command, then when done, type exit and press Enter key to close the console

Sample image

ps.png

Don't worry about all that Deployment failed text in red! If you now click Start and scroll down your application list, you will see both XBox and the XBox Gamebar are no longer listed.

Note: When Microsoft next releases a Feature update for Windows 10, which I believe will be January 15, 2020, you will need to remove XBox and its services again, assuming you still do not want them, as that update will reinstall them.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for the very thorough instructions! But, rather than running these commands every time Windows 10 gets an update, would my system get the same benefit by simply using services.msc to change the Startup type: to Disabled? If so, it's a much quicker fix that I'll easily remember. I don't mind that XBox and the XBox Gamebar are left.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes if you prefer to simply disable them via Services dialog that is fine.

Reaction score
Hello i need serious help, i did these commands and some other commands. I want to play an xbox live game, but all the services are disabled. Please give me the correct commands so i can enable it. I've tried everything. Here is a list of things ive done. I don't know why i did it: Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers xbox | Remove-AppxPackage

sc stop XblGameSave
sc stop XboxNetApiSvc
sc stop XboxGipSvc
sc delete XblAuthManager
sc delete XblGameSave
sc delete XboxNetApiSvc
sc delete XboxGipSvc
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\xbgm" /f
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\XblGameSave\XblGameSaveTask" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\XblGameSave\XblGameSaveTaskLogon" /disable
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GameDVR" /v AllowGameDVR /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Ask a Question