SOLVED "Driver is unavailable" - USB Optical Mouse and Xbox 360 Controller

Reaction score
Hi, I'm using Windows 10 on a fairly new Lenovo Ideapad 320-17IKB. Yesterday my USB Optical Mouse stopped working. Under "Bluetooth & other devices" in settings it says "Driver is unavailable" for the mouse. I figured it was my mouse not the computer, so I made due with the mouse pad and an Xbox 360 controller for Windows. Today I bought a new mouse, same type as the old mouse, only to find that now not only does my new mouse not work, but neither does my 360 controller. Both have the same message: "Driver is unavailable." Does anyone know how to solve the problem? This has been very frustrating.

Reaction score
On that same page as Bluetooth look in Mouse instead. Bluetooth is a short-range wireless that is part of the Wireless/Wi-Fi adapter, the USB Wireless works independently of Bluetooth. I use Bluetooth mice with a few Notebooks and USB Wireless with some others. Also check Device Manager and the USB section for any problems.

Reaction score
Yeah, Bluetooth was just in the name of the settings page. I wasn't actually trying to connect it through Bluetooth. It was a wired mouse anyway. The problem was that my computer couldn't find the driver.

I've managed to solve it myself. It might've been a little extreme, but in the end I reinstalled Windows 10. That did the trick.

Reaction score
Oh, man. I'd hate to have to re-install Windows 10 just to get my wired mouse working again. It was working fine under Win 10, then stopped working (probably after a recent automatic update). Same symptoms as Sleestak: "... drivers for this device not installed", "... There are no compatible devises for this device". I tried it with two different wired mice. Hopefully Microsoft will fix it in an upcoming update. It's very annoying.

Reaction score
I've had success in deleting/uninstalling them in Device Manager then rebooting [may have to power-off or unplug the computer], usually picks up what is needed especially if connected to the Internet.

Reaction score
Also try plugging into a USB 2 port instead of USB 3. Sometimes it will make a difference.

Reaction score
Bighorn, ram1220,

Thanks for the replies. I tried disabling / enabling, uninstalling / installing the driver, powering off / powering on. trying a different USB port. (I checked the USB ports with a thumb drive, and they are OK. None of the suggestions worked. BTW, my IT guru at work also suggested essentially the same fixes.

This is a Dell laptop. Perhaps I'll try uninstalling the driver, removing the battery, re-installing the battery, then plugging the mouse back in.

This is a pisser.

Reaction score
No need to change BIOS settings, remove batteries etc...

The problem is probably the latest Windows update (13/2 or 14/2).
This update can prevent your USB ports from working correctly.
Various posts accross the net report the same problem, either partial USB ports or all and sometimes only certain devices. Also, UBS 1.0 and 2.0 devices may work (even on USB 3.0 ports), USB 3.0 devices might not.
Try to roll back to before the update and postpone Windows updates for now (to prevent the update to re-install itself).

Ask a Question