I restarted my laptop and now Microsoft Office has lost its product keys

Reaction score
I restarted my laptop last night and now when I open Microsoft Office 2010 (Word and Excel which I use every day) it has lost its product keys, and I can't find where they are. I didn’t do anything different when I restarted, and my computer hadn't crashed or anything, so I don’t know why it's decided it can't find the product key anymore. I've tried restarting several times since to see if it can find them again, but no luck.

I've run malware to see if that was the problem, because the other weird thing is that my Notepad opened on the second restart with this message:

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21799

I found the way to make that go away using file explorer and hiding the protected operating system files, but I wonder if this has anything to do with my Microsoft product keys going astray? I could go and upgrade my Microsoft Office, but I really like 2010 and I have all the settings just how I like them, so would prefer to stay with that version if I can.

Can anyone help me please?

Thank you :)

Reaction score
maribelle Hi!
I have Office 2010 and love it, I know how you must feel. Do you not have the installation disk for MS Office 2010? Do you have a recent back up image of your HD?
If not (no disk/image) I would perform a system restore, pick the most recent Restore Point prior to when the problem occurred. Good Luck.

Reaction score
maribelle Hi!
I have Office 2010 and love it, I know how you must feel. Do you not have the installation disk for MS Office 2010? Do you have a recent back up image of your HD?
If not (no disk/image) I would perform a system restore, pick the most recent Restore Point prior to when the problem occurred. Good Luck.
Which the laptop do you use ? Dell ,Hp or Acer ,maybe you should chanage your driver device ,

Reaction score
Oh, there are a lot of lovely people, thank you all so much for your help!

I tried system restore, but it still didn’t remember the product key even though it was working fine last night.

The Magic Jelly Bean was very easy thank you, and I now have my product key and will write it down for future reference. Word and Excel won't let me put the product key in - a little message popped up saying: "The setup controller has encountered a problem during install. Please review log files for further information on the error."

Ask a Question