I want my old free cell back!

Hal

Reaction score
Windows XP's Freecell WILL RUN on Windows 10. You simply need to copy FREECELL.EXE and CARDS.DLL from a Windows XP computer. The XP path to CARDS.DLL is C:\windows\system32\. Put both files in the same folder on your Windows 10 computer, but DO NOT put them into the System32 folder because they may not be compatible. To run the program, just double-click the “Freecell.exe” file. You can create a shortcut to the file on your desktop or pin the program to the taskbar or start menu. That's it.

Reaction score
the graphics on the Windows 10 version of freecell are miserable -- especially hard to differentiate between the Jack and King. Would it be so hard for you to go back to graphics we all likes and used? Change for the sake of change is NOT an improvement. Fortunately, I only upgraded one computer to Windows 10 voluntarily. One was upgraded without our permission .. it is a brick and we just spent $1,000 replacing it. I will continue to guard my one remaining computer that is not Windows 10 for as long as possible. I do hope MS is not paying people to make matters worse... what a waste of time and money -- not to mention customer goodwill.

Reaction score
There is a link on this forum to an install package for the old W7 set of solitaire games.
The file you want is
Win7Games4Win10_8_81_v2_[winaero.com]_565.zip

This will install on W10 from 10240 upto and including the latest insider build ( which will become anniversary edition.

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-25_4-58-46.png
    upload_2016-5-25_4-58-46.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,110
Reaction score
How many times does this need to be repeated. winaero.com has the official W7 solitaires fixed for W10 including for the rs1 Insider versions.

This needs a sticky

Reaction score
"the graphics on the Windows 10 version of freecell are miserable -- especially hard to differentiate between the Jack and King"

Does you suite look like this? Easy enough to see the difference??

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
I have all the MS full games on my W10 working, I had this installer I found for them back when I installed W8, I can't find the link right now, and I will need to hunt through a mess of DVD's I keep with all kinds of backed up files to find it, its a pretty big installer.

I'll see if I can find the old link for it :)

I also need to know from any admin if I can even post a link, the place I found is another forum site, that you would need to reg on to get to see hidden posts. Its not a link to the actual file, which I assume is given after you reg on the site and see the link yourself, which would be on some upload site to D/L.

Reaction score
where can I find the link to install windows 7 games on 10 -- they deleted them today?

So OK, I'm not exactly sure if this is the same one from winareo, but its worth a try. I see no link for the one on Winareo.

http://www45.zippyshare.com/v/Nv1HU53p/file.html

This is just a file downloading site, you can D/L it and try it. its around 150mg

I have my own version which is a bit larger (175) than this one, but would need someone's upload site to send it, so try this one for now.

Reaction score
Fixed it.
Copy the old Microsoft Games Folder into your Program Files folder. Run the Freecell game. The missing .dll files are located in your old System32 folder. Copy & Paste. Enjoy!

Reaction score
my problem is, every time there is a windows update under 10 it automatically uninstalls the win7 games.
This is really a pain.. so what i did i made my connection a metered connection.. there is a registry hack for that, and i refuse updates.. i am very happy now with my system. I do not need all the new stuff.. i only use the computer for emails and playing hearts and spider solitaire.
i have a hardware firewall and regularely do virus updates.
I am happy with this solution.

Reaction score
I save the file for the old games in Onedrive so I can just execute it after a new build.

Note that Chrome and FF don't like that naked http and tell me that Winaeros certificate has expired. Firefox lets you just ignore that and do the download anyway.

Reaction score
I've saved the download onto my NAS drives because each Version Upgrade will take those games out, maybe just kill the shortcuts, same effect. I've seen a couple of Build updates do it but no clue as to why.

Reaction score
thanks for the input..
weill one drive is a no go for me..its not paranoia.. its just that where i live after using more than 5 gig in the month the connection speed goes down like 2G..until the first of next month..

so i disabled it, like anything else using bandwidth. (took me days to completely get rid of it)
i dont use a nasdrive like Bighorn, but an external harddisk... because I made the experience that even the installation files are not usable after an update if they are in the download directory for example..

as to why i read somewhere that there were 2 reasons. 1 officially because it is not programmed for windows 10. So if there are complications they would have to support either the game or windows.. which they do not want to do for an old game.. The other reason is they want you to play games online.. not on your local computer. On your computer they cannot always monitor the time you spend playing and send you according ads, etc..
thats my 2 cents

Luc

Reaction score
The install file from winaero fits on a small thumb drive. (250 Mb will do) One thing. I notice that a new version of Windows does NOT lose the scores which is good. We don't play all of the games but they certainly seem insensitive to new versions of Windows.

Ask a Question