I want my old free cell back!

Reaction score
Many, many thanks for the link - and it works too! Now I won't have to roll back to Win 7. jake
good deal.... I know they work cause i been using them since I first upgraded to W8 from 7, and found they had been removed in W8. I just had to re register on a game site to get hold of the D/L link again, I wasn't aware there were going to be a lot of new people who went from 7 right to 10 and never experienced this with 8 and 8.1. So now everybody can at least have one small thing back, I thought 10 was going to be a re release of the 7 GUI too, with its eye candy, but I guess this is what it is. Too bad MS just can't give home users a choice of GUI's and let business have their bland stuff.

Reaction score
check out the post I just made about W7 games, there's a link to D/L the games installer, I just D/Led it myself to make sure its a good link and the file is working.
Hi Hoody, just installed windows 10 and wife now ready to kill me, lost her freecell and solitare and the new Xbox versions supplied are @@#$@. What was the link to the downloader??

Reaction score
I recommend that you take a look on the web. I found a convenient package of the Windows 7/8 solitaire games including Mahjong that unpack, install and run properly on W10.
msgames_win8_x64.msi Forget where I found it but it is 90Mb. I disliked the 'official' W10 versions of the games.

Reaction score
Windows 10 deleted my games from Windows 7. I hate the new free cell: noisy, cards harder to see, no undo, etc. Where can I download the old version?
Im having the same problem. would lite to know how to get back windows 7. anyone know how to do that. went to system restore, but completely different in windows 10

Reaction score
Im having the same problem. would lite to know how to get back windows 7. anyone know how to do that. went to system restore, but completely different in windows 10

Go to this thread
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/old-ms-games-for-w10.2273/

Don't use the link I posted first, it no longer works, try the one posted under mine.

If that one doesn't work I'll try to get another one, or one of the others that got the file can uploaded it to another download site.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have all the MS full games on my W10 working, I had this installer I found for them back when I installed W8, I can't find the link right now, and I will need to hunt through a mess of DVD's I keep with all kinds of backed up files to find it, its a pretty big installer.

I'll see if I can find the old link for it :)

I also need to know from any admin if I can even post a link, the place I found is another forum site, that you would need to reg on to get to see hidden posts. Its not a link to the actual file, which I assume is given after you reg on the site and see the link yourself, which would be on some upload site to D/L.
Would like to get your link to download the old version for freecell. Thanks for you help.

Reaction score
I got them by just doing a Google search. I found this msgames_win8_x64.msi which works just fine...but I do not remember where I got it

Reaction score
I have been playing FreeCell on Windows 10, but the rules of the game or somehow changed. Why is the move below an illegal move? Why can't I place the 4 of diamonds on the 5 of spades? In this game it is also an illegal move to take the king of spades (second stack) and put this stack (going from king of spades to the 9 clubs) in the empy spot? I have checked the rules several times but there is no explanation.
Has someone also found this anomaly?

Tx P.View attachment 829
If the screenshot you have here is correct for what you are asking, then you cannot make these moves because you have no free cells. Get rid of the four cards in the top left and then your moves would be legal.

Reaction score
Windows 10 deleted my games from Windows 7. I hate the new free cell: noisy, cards harder to see, no undo, etc. Where can I download the old version?
I agree! I donwloaded another version but it is ugly, does not keep stats and does not tell you when there are no more permissible moves. Bad move,Microsoft!

Reaction score
If you look through this forum you will find links and filenames that you can use to download all the old W7/8 Microsoft solitaire games. Or search the web for msgames_win8_x64.msi I found that some months ago and downloaded it and I have the proper freecell and spider. I won't try to upload the file as it is 90Mb

Reaction score
check out the post I just made about W7 games, there's a link to D/L the games installer, I just D/Led it myself to make sure its a good link and the file is working.
Does Everyone HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTEEEE Microsoft 10 as much as i do?

Reaction score
I don't. I guess I am just lucky, W10 on my main PC has not had any of the problems other have had... but I have been through them all and more on the Insider program!

Reaction score
Me too, had windows 7 but with that program it has a constant problem with always skipping back when I would be typing! Switching to 10 had cured that but navigating through this new mess just trying to find the control panel etc., is frustrating!! And why they took the games off is beyond me!! Think is must be for the MONEY, like every other corrupt self serving Corporation here in America!! DEATH TO MICROSOFT!!!

Reaction score
I downloaded Windows 10 yesterday and already miss Windows 7 freecell and hate the new version. I haven't found anywhere to download the old version, but have discovered it's possible to revert back to Windows 7 within a month of downloading Window's 10. It's that, or buy a pack of cards!
I did not even ask to be changed to Windows 10. Hate it!!!! Want my W7 back.

Ask a Question