I want my old free cell back!

Reaction score
Windows 10 deleted my games from Windows 7. I hate the new free cell: noisy, cards harder to see, no undo, etc. Where can I download the old version?

I downloaded Windows 10 yesterday and already miss Windows 7 freecell and hate the new version. I haven't found anywhere to download the old version, but have discovered it's possible to revert back to Windows 7 within a month of downloading Window's 10. It's that, or buy a pack of cards!

Reaction score
It's little shit like this that just about makes it not worth upgrading. There is always things changed when there was no need in changing. I'm not a card player myself, but I can sympathize with you. It's like Microsoft goes out of their way to make change for the sake of change, just so they have an excuse to charge again.

I find it very humorous at how Windows 10 has been given as a free upgrade, and people are still finding reasons to revert back to their old OS. This is not the same group of people that are holding on to their old OS and refusing to move forward. This is a group of people who did move forward and couldn't live with what was the next best thing.

Reaction score
I downloaded Windows 10 yesterday and already miss Windows 7 freecell and hate the new version. I haven't found anywhere to download the old version, but have discovered it's possible to revert back to Windows 7 within a month of downloading Window's 10. It's that, or buy a pack of cards!

I found out about Solsuite on another forum and paid $10 to download it. It has similar features. So I guess Windows 10 has cost me $10 so far!

Reaction score
It's also very interesting how the whole IT industry increasingly tries to do all the thinking for us - from selection of what news we watch to deciding how we should spend our money. The "choices" they offer are all superficial as if the colour of an app matters more than the content. That's big capitalism for you I guess...

Reaction score
There's plenty of free alternatives out there. Free Freecell Solitaire is a great alternative. And free.

It's also very interesting how the whole IT industry increasingly tries to do all the thinking for us - from selection of what news we watch to deciding how we should spend our money. The "choices" they offer are all superficial as if the colour of an app matters more than the content. That's big capitalism for you I guess...
You have to remember, they are going to lose a ton of money in the short term, giving away their OS. That's why they have to find ways to monetize it. All companies are having to do this.

Reaction score
Hi Bigfeet, your post is from Oct 2014, but if you still read this, could you please let me now, where to get the free card games, e.g. Free Cell, Solitaire, etc. I am also willing to pay. Thanks Computercat99

Reaction score
I have all the MS full games on my W10 working, I had this installer I found for them back when I installed W8, I can't find the link right now, and I will need to hunt through a mess of DVD's I keep with all kinds of backed up files to find it, its a pretty big installer.

I'll see if I can find the old link for it :)

I also need to know from any admin if I can even post a link, the place I found is another forum site, that you would need to reg on to get to see hidden posts. Its not a link to the actual file, which I assume is given after you reg on the site and see the link yourself, which would be on some upload site to D/L.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Hoody, thanks for trying. I have meanwhile found SolSuite, which is not too bad. However, I still miss the Microsoft Games, chess, Majong and their Solitaire versions.

Reaction score
Hi Hoody, thanks for trying. I have meanwhile found SolSuite, which is not too bad. However, I still miss the Microsoft Games, chess, Majong and their Solitaire versions.

check out the post I just made about W7 games, there's a link to D/L the games installer, I just D/Led it myself to make sure its a good link and the file is working.

Reaction score
I don't think you will, it was a requested link. It wasn't as if you came here spamming links for your own promotional value.

Reaction score
check out the post I just made about W7 games, there's a link to D/L the games installer, I just D/Led it myself to make sure its a good link and the file is working.
Hi, thanks so much for the link. I am very happy that I have my games back. Thanks so much for your help Computercat99

Reaction score
Hi, thanks so much for the link. I am very happy that I have my games back. Thanks so much for your help Computercat99

Good, I'm glad they worked and I was able to find the file :)

A lot of "older" folks like these games, and missed them since W8, I remember building a desktop for my mom and all she knew to do was play solitaire lol, she did that almost till her passing, and gave her something to stay occupied. Now that I'm an "older" person I find I'm hooked on the advanced Spider solitaire lol, out of about 600 games I think I only won around 80 lolol MS should have never removed this small bit of fun for some people, a lot of people aren't computer literate enough or bother to have to go through all kinds of account setting ups just to play a card game.

Reaction score
Hi Hoody, I am one of the 'older" folks and I have played Free Cell, Mahjong, Solitaire and Spider Solitaire every day for years (sometimes even Chess). I am hoping that it will keep my brain a little bit more active, so that I won't get dementia. I am really grateful that you were able to provide the download. Thanks again. Computercat99

Reaction score
I have been playing FreeCell on Windows 10, but the rules of the game or somehow changed. Why is the move below an illegal move? Why can't I place the 4 of diamonds on the 5 of spades? In this game it is also an illegal move to take the king of spades (second stack) and put this stack (going from king of spades to the 9 clubs) in the empy spot? I have checked the rules several times but there is no explanation.
Has someone also found this anomaly?

Tx P.
FreeCell.jpg

Reaction score
Hi Pesch, I just wanted to mention that I have downloaded the old Win 7 games (link provided by Hoody above) and I love having them back. Computercat99

Reaction score
After upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7, one would think Microsoft would come up with better versions of Solitare, Free Cell and Mahjong. Instead, the Free Cell graphics are terrible - it's small and hard to read. Solitare is gone, gone, gone! And there is no Mahjong. In all prior Windows versions these games would always come up fast once they were pinned to the Task Bar. I would play these while waiting for the computer to continue loading - I could even play two games before the System finally loaded.

I would even pay to get these games back! For now, I'll turn on my Mac Pro which has a great Solitare game that is visually beautiful with up to date graphics. The games that came with Windows 10 look like they are from the early '80s - there was no imagination or thought given to those who just want to play simple card games, as well as, Mahjong. Don't care if the upgrade was free. If one is going to upgrade do it right the first time and keep what the consumer wants.

Ask a Question