SOLVED I would like a partition change

Reaction score
I bought an HP 24 desktop computer, which has a 2 TB hard disk and a SSD SanDisk SD8SMAT-128G-1006.
The C: partition has only 118 GB of space available. while another partition, which I named " Main Storage" has 1850 GB.
All of the downloads want to install in the C: partition. Obviously, this is not going to work due to the amount of space available on the C: drive.
What I would like to do is change whatever there is to change, to allow the main installation partition to be the D: partition instead of the C: partition.
I realize that many, if not most downloads present a choice of where to install the program. I would prefer not to have to continuously go through the maneuvers to change the installation from the C: to the D: partition.
Is there a way to do this?
Thanks for reading
jrj

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    196.6 KB · Views: 186

Regedit32

Reaction score
You can change where new apps are saved to via your Storage settings:

1. Click Start | Settings cog | System | Storage
  2. Beneath Change Storage Settings click the hyperlink: Change where new content is saved
  3. Under New apps will save to: select the partition you want to save to then click Apply.

In terms of apps all ready installed, you can move these by doing the following:
  • Click Start | Settings cog | System | Storage
  • Click the Apps & features and allow list to populate
  • Left-click on an installed app then click Move. (Note: Not all apps can be moved as some are needed by the System. Also the size of the app and the amount of available space on the alternate storage partition determines whether or not it can be moved).
Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Like Grizzly said. I'd take it another step by doing that for all your library folders (documents, pictures, videos, etc). 118 gb will fill quickly.

Reaction score
Just be aware that the Libraries and Quick Access are only shortcuts to the actual Folders located in C:\Users\YOURNAMEHERE [or whatever your boot/install drive is], right-click to check that actual location. I have all my Downloads going to my D:\Data drive and the ~Downloads folder on it and have set the Browsers to use that. A good many programs have a Custom install where one can specify where they are to install. The tilde ~ helps identify the correct Folder.

Reaction score
Thank you all very much. I will get to work on your advice immediately. I am so grateful for this forum. :)
Will post conclusion when finished.

Reaction score
I followed the advice given here and my downloads are going where I want them. Again, thanks for the replies.
I still have empty folders stuck in various places and although that is aggravating it isn't a major problem. I would think computer manufacturers could come up with a better solution for using the SSD than this.
I will mark this thread as solved.

Ask a Question