SOLVED Identity of members

Reaction score
Just curious. Are you, Ian, able to check the IP addresses of members for possible duplication?

Bif

Reaction score
That's a peculiar request davehc, are you having issues with something?..

Reaction score
No issues. But Of late I have responded to odd requests, with responses from a third party, which seemed to indicate the same user. Maybe "Testing the waters"

As I said, just curious. It was a little historic on another forum. A new member arrived and began answering posts for help quite quickly. He was building up a reputation. The Admin, not me, decided to have a dekko and found out it was the same person. Just ego, I imagine.

Reaction score
Dave Yes! It's possible for a member of any forum to have multiple user names with the same IP address. The Administrators can ban user names and IP's, it's very time consuming. If the member isn't causing any forum disruption, being offensive or rude and is a valuable form contributor to the forum banning them, or the IP makes no sense.

Bif

Reaction score
Yes Dave, I've experienced the same on another forum as well...as Norton suggested, it a very time consuming process to block IPs ..

Reaction score
I certainly don't want to waste Ian's time, so I'll let it go. Just suddenly hit me. a new guy posts for help, and within an instant another new guy replies!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just curious. Are you, Ian, able to check the IP addresses of members for possible duplication?

Yep, there's a tool that can check to see if a member has another account on the same IP address. If you suspect something fishy, drop me a PM with the username and I'll check this out. Spammers often register two accounts, one asking for software/shop recommendations, then another one replies with a link.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
No issues. But Of late I have responded to odd requests, with responses from a third party, which seemed to indicate the same user. Maybe "Testing the waters"
Same for me.....from my experience the answer is Yes.

Dave, there are some links that will let you do this yourself. I had them back in the day when I was heavy on a lot of froums as a moderator and saved them in a folder in my browser to do just that.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
It's possible for a member of any forum to have multiple user names with the same IP address.
None that I'm aware of. Every forum I'm on.....that's a big NO NO. 1 account 1 user name....it's always been that way.

I don't see the point of having multiple usernames....it goes against post counting and never mind the fact of the confusion who is posting what under another user name.

Reaction score
Yep, there's a tool that can check to see if a member has another account on the same IP address. If you suspect something fishy, drop me a PM with the username and I'll check this out. Spammers often register two accounts, one asking for software/shop recommendations, then another one replies with a link.
Ok, Ian, I'll do that if I feel a moment of panic!!

I'm marking this as solved.

Ask a Question