I'm about ready to disable Windows Defender

Reaction score
I downloaded a program. I've downloaded other programs from this author without issues. For some reason this one application is being flagged and Defender wants to remove it. That's fine and all but I told Defender to allow the application and the scan passes without finding any threats. But for some reason the little red X indicator on the Defender icon will not go away. I've told Defender there is nothing wrong but yet it will not clear all the notifications.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html

WirelessKeyViewer.png

I will operate without antivirus before I put up with this irritation.

Reaction score
I had a look at your link, Cliff. The author has quite a bit to say about antivirus behaviour with his, and other, products.
Interesting to read the para on Microsoft, where there is a hint of possible libel with MS practice.
But, back to your post. It isn't something I have ever had a need for, but can you not change an inbound rule in Defende (advanced options) to overcome the flag?

Reaction score
I'm not sure, I haven't looked at changing any settings. What I did though should have added the file/application to an exception list. It might would help if I understood why the application is being flagged. All I know is what the popup states. But as an end user, we shouldn't need to understand these things to operate the application. Nor should we be forced in to deleting applications that we might find useful.

Back to your question. Talk me though this, so I'm not flying blind. It is getting late so it will be tomorrow before I get to it.

Reaction score
Phew.I'll have a go. As I said - not my speciality!
I open the control panel, but you can go through the settings also.

Windows defender Firewall
Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender firewall
Change settings, and then the item at the bottom becomes accessible "Allow another App"
You are then given the option to browse your computer to the app you wish to allow.

That's my best shot, Cliff. See if you can work something into there. Maybe before tomorrow, a member who uses it a lot can give some advanced info.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
To test this out, I just downloaded it and it did so just fine....no issue with Defender flagging it. However, when trying to install it...Malwarebytes (paid subscription - real time protection) flagged it. I just turned off Malwarebytes and it installed just fine.

So it seems there's something on your end, either with the OS or Defender or both. You might want to look into that. Is there any reports of that software have the same issue as you?

Reaction score
I don't understand. I went through the process davehc explained above. It appears that the exception in firewalls have to be installed applications. I couldn't add my program to the list.

The program I was dealing with was a stand-alone program. A program of which I was storing in a ZIP file. I updated the program yesterday and placed it in a ZIP. This somehow triggered Defender. I just went through Defender's cleaning and allowed it to do whatever. The red X is gone now and the program is still in my ZIP. I have no clue what Defender did to clear itself.

Reaction score
If you trust the app, add it to Defenders list "Allow an app through controlled access folders"

Reaction score
OK - is that setup in the same location, firewall settings?

Firewall is one thing I've never messed with.

Reaction score
This is strange. I extracted the program and ran it (both versions, old and new). Both 32bit versions were flagged and removed from the folders. But the 64bit version of the new update does not flag.

Either way as long as I store them in a ZIP, I'm good. At least now I know how to get the flag to go away. I just have to let Defender fix itself by letting it remove or at least attempt to do so. I now know it will not delete my ZIP files. Removing the files myself does not reset the flag. Nor will telling Defender to allow the files.

And as long as I'm storing the files in a ZIP, I can't set Firewall to ignore them.

I just extracted the programs from the ZIP. As soon as the programs were extracted, Defender flagged them. I went through firewall settings and added the app through firewall. The programs are still being removed by Defender. Just double checked Firewall and the program is indeed added.

TLDR:
Adding to Firewall apps and telling Defender to allow will not clear the notification flag on Defender. And it is only the 32bit version that is being flagged.

Reaction score
Clifford Try this.
Open settings > Update & Security > Open Windows Defender Security Centre > Virus & Threat Protection > Virus & Threat Protection Settings > Scroll down the page and click on "Allow an App through controlled folder access. Click on + "Add an allowed app" find your app in explorer and click on it. The app will be added to the allowed apps list.

Reaction score
Adding my entire "F:\Install\" folder to Protecting Folders doesn't help either. That's where the files are being stored.

I added my folder to the Exclusion list, not the Controlled Folder Access list. Lets see if that stops this.

OK that works some what. I now get a user account control popup when accessing the application instead of it being flagged malicious. Simple to understand from this perspective. I just never needed to alter any settings before now.

Reaction score
Clifford apps should be in the "Allow apps" and folders in the "Protected Folder" list. It does make a difference.

Reaction score
Maybe so but I couldn't get it to work for me. It wasn't until after I added the folder as an exception, Defender left it alone without deleting it. I had to add the folder as an exception to keep Defender from scanning the folder. At no point could I get Defender to scan and leave the program alone.

To be honest it is not very user friendly, I'd rather disable Defender (and go without) than fight it.

Ask a Question