SOLVED In place upgrade from ISO?

Bif

Reaction score
Feeling cheeky this morning, might attempt an "in place upgrade" of Fall Creators 1709 from the burnt to DVD ISO..aside from checking "retrieve updates at a later time"..is there anything else I should be concerned about?...
Just to Twilight Zone you, I attempted twice the update via MCT and it failed both times with identical errors.
Is the method of installing from the ISO on DVD a safer/ more foolproof way?..or is just another route to disaster?
Or maybe I should just wait?...IDKo_O

Reaction score
Patience Biff. I have 2 identical PC's, one is still awaiting the update.
icon_scratch.png
I don't think your missing anything.

Bif

Reaction score
You are likely correct in waiting, I often let my cheekiness get the better of me..then all hell breaks loose!
As the years roll on, patience is becoming a scarce commodity for me

Reaction score
I am sure you know this Bif but did you burn the disks at the slowest possible speed?, if the disk is burnt too fast, it can have read/write errors which will most likely lead to a failed install !. ;)

Bif

Reaction score
Yup Wolfie, 4× speed and verification after burn..
The jury is still out on the install.. I'm heeding Norton's steadfast advise..

Reaction score
I am sure you know this Bif but did you burn the disks at the slowest possible speed?, if the disk is burnt too fast, it can have read/write errors which will most likely lead to a failed install !. ;)
This is only necessary if the drive is worn-out and needs to be replaced. And in this condition may not even burn at a slower speed.

Reaction score
I know the thread was marked as solved, forgive me for resurrecting a "Solved" thread.

Patience!
Well I waited for MS to update me to the Fall Creator update on my Dell Laptop. Last night I noticed that 1709 was awaiting to install. What the heck! I installed the update (WiFI) download.
The download hung at 95% at what seemed like ever, I went to bed and just let it do its thing. This morning, I was greeted with "Something went wrong, the update failed to install error code 0x8d02002, Search the error code to correct. We will attempt to download later" ? No thanks (data thieves) MS!
I decided to Install 1709 from a newly created thumb drive ISO 10.1709. It installed and downloaded with no problems or glitches that I can see. I searched the internet MS and Dell for reference to the error code 0x8d02002 to no avail.
icon_scratch.png

Bif

Reaction score
Patience!
This is the operative word, lots of hicups with this build from what I'm reading... I'll sit back and wait for it to come down the pipe.. agreed about the MS Data hog, and they could care less.

Reaction score
I'll sit back and wait for it to come down the pipe..
From my stand point, I couldn't wait. I've only got 8+ machines to upgrade. That would be a lot of data if each machine updated automatically from Windows Update. Our ISP service is slow as Christmas. I decided to download once and upgrade all of them manually.

Microsoft has an option in Windows Update Settings to update across Network and Internet. I honestly don't think that works at all. It still takes 30 minutes just to check for updates, as if we don't have better things to do than sit around waiting on Microsoft. It is less of a headache to simply do it yourself, and definitely more of a headache now that we are being pressured into staying ahead of Windows Update.

Reaction score
From my stand point, I couldn't wait. I've only got 8+ machines to upgrade. That would be a lot of data if each machine updated automatically from Windows Update. Our ISP service is slow as Christmas. I decided to download once and upgrade all of them manually.
Agreed. I downloaded both the USB and .iso from MCT and used mostly the USB to Upgrade some 10 Notebooks, 3 Tablets and 4 Desktops over the last several days, much easier than doing them on my 5MB ISP service.

Reaction score
I had a problem with a friends laptop yesterday evening, the same problem as Norton, it downloaded 1709 and the other updates but stuck at 0% for over an hour, I restarted and tried again, same thing. I will do a manual upgrade from a USB stick maybe today!. :mad:

Reaction score
HI Norton,

I still haven't got around to doing it, it was snowing here and my friend didn't want to go out in the cold!. :rolleyes: She said she will bring it today. :)

Reaction score
Wolfie Let us know how you make out.
Hi Norton,

I went and snagged a new version oof the "Upgrade Assistant" and used that, it worked and upgraded to ver 1709 after only nearly 4 hours, I call that a win!. :):):)

Reaction score
Great! I don't know why these update take so long.
Download speeds are affected greatly by the Servers they are stored on, the number of Servers the signals go through and even your ISPs speed, what you are paying for. The quick term is called bandwidth, also affected by the number of users accessing any particular site.

Ask a Question