Insider preview 17704

Reaction score
Installed ok but same old bad code introduced after 17672! Cannot use my excellent sound card with this bad code.:(

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Managed to get two instances installed.
One physical machine and a second Virtual Machine.
All seems well and very glad that they fixed the picture password issue

Reaction score
Installed ok but same old bad code introduced after 17672! Cannot use my excellent sound card with this bad code.:(
What is the make and model of the sound adapter? About how old is it? What type of slot is it plugged into on the motherboard?

Reaction score
Windows 10 Insider Preview 17704 won't install. It goes about half way 49% then aborts and goes back to the last version 17692

Reaction score
What is the make and model of the sound adapter? About how old is it? What type of slot is it plugged into on the motherboard?
PCI M-Audio AP192K several years old but perfect. Works fine on all Windows 10 until 17677 which has that idiot code that replaces working drivers with latest incorrect driver in the case of my mouse and just turns off the sound card. I have to avoid UEFI to fight this same problem because it ignores my drivers and replaces with faulty drivers.

Reaction score
This one won't install for me either. First RS5 that hasn't. Gets to 46% then rolls back 17692. Error is 0xC1900101. Tried deleting softwaredistribution folder, windows.~bt folder, booting in safe mode.

Reaction score
You folks are talking about 17704 and it seems 17708 is already available, or close.

It is really strange all the builds are coming out this way. I get the impression Microsoft may be working to a permanent build so they can stop the semi-annual upgrades.

Reaction score
It's not too strange, the Version Upgrades have been twice a year as in 1703 and 1709 [year and month] while the Builds may be on Patch Tuesday [2nd Tuesday each month] or more often and at random intervals. Going back to 2014 has seen talk about such a process and WaaS and/or SaaS, Windows as a Service or Software as a Service, usually means continuing updates. The IP/Insider Preview version is a Test/Beta software, will be changes and best not to use it as a production or only computer, was warned about that when signing up to be a tester.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's relatively common during one of their Bug Bash sessions.
A build just before
Usually one or sometimes two during the session depending on how long the bug bash goes
And usually one pretty quickly after the conclusion.
Right now 17708 is still showing as a canary build
https://buildfeed.net/

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
A small group.

Windows-10-Insider-Rings.png

Reaction score
this is the fourth time I am trying to install the new version (over the 17686). Every time so far it gets close to the end installing and starts over with initializing again. If it does it again, I am done with the insider program...

Reaction score
Hi Grizzly

When on the Insider Fast track you do get the odd build when something like this happens. I've been on it for several years -- sometimes you have to be patient and wait for the next build when they have usually found and fixed the issue -- particularly one like this that seems to be happening to a lot of people.

Just once I had to completely rebuild my laptop -- but just the once.

HTH

Rick

Reaction score
Well, it finally went through the whole process and I am running now 17704 on my Insider machine.

BTW: Is MS not releasing any ISO's of the Insider anymore?? The last one I got was 17127

Reaction score
Did you do something different? Mine is stuck on 17692 -- I've had 6 or 7 goes at upgrading (including clean boot/safe mode/deleting this that and the other).

They tend to release ISOs for Slow Ring releases only but there are quite a few guides on t'Internet describing how you can make your own ISO from a Fast Ring release. (Not that I ever have.)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score

Ask a Question