Insider Preview Build 17686

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
This new release for Redstone happened on June 6th and somehow escaped my attention.
Not sure how or why but I just missed it.
Installing now just to see if it resolves the intermittent GSOD issues I had been experiencing with the previous build.
We fixed an issue resulting in frequent bugchecks on the previous build with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error.
SOURCE: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ncing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17686/
Other than that.....
Nothing much really new

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It does.
Seems like almost weekly, although.....
We did just come out of a fork in development between redstone 4 and redstone 5, so we were getting skip ahead builds thrown into the mix.
Maybe things will settle a bit, but....
They're coming up on a Bug Bash on the 22nd so I think they'll want a more stable build before starting that.

On this one, I got stuck on the lock screen, blinking, flashing looking like it was going up and away and then returning.
It was a mess.
Finally after a couple GSODs attempting to get into Safe Mode with Networking I managed to get into plain brown wrapper Safe Mode and dumped a couple drivers.
Which seems to have resolved the issue, although I'm still having issues with my Picture Password and have to resort to either normal text box or PIN.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Seems I'm not alone with the issue noted above
https://aka.ms/AA1k6g4

Turns out there are several mentions in the feedback hub. The link was just at the top of the list so that's the one I "me too'd" with an upvote.

Reaction score
Right now, I am looking into the new wireless configuration which is used by the Killer Wireless 1550 or Intel Wireless-ac 9260.

It seems they can use a 160 MHz band width and will double wireless speeds. If you see anything mentioned in the Insider Builds regarding this, I would be interested. I was not previously aware Intel was the manufacturer for the Killer Wireless devices.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I was not previously aware Intel was the manufacturer for the Killer Wireless devices.
Me either, although I've never had a Killer Wireless adapter.
I know my Killer E2200 ethernet adapter has a Qualcomm chipset but I've never used their drivers, always went directly to Killer for their drivers only package.

Ask a Question