Install screw up

Reaction score
I installed Windows 10 over Windows 7 and didn't unplug my USB 3 backup drive. Now, USB 3 doesn't work on any port. How can I fix this without having to re-install all my apps?

Reaction score
Not really sure why having a driver plugged in, although not advisable, would mess with your USB 3.0 ports.

Does your system have Win 10 Drivers available?

Do you show any USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) listings?

What system model do you have or who does you chipset and USB controller drivers?

Reaction score
Not really sure why having a driver plugged in, although not advisable, would mess with your USB 3.0 ports.

Does your system have Win 10 Drivers available?

Do you show any USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) listings?

What system model do you have or who does you chipset and USB controller drivers?

System has an A88XM-A Asus MB. As to why it doesn't work, I don't know. All the Windows 10 USB 3 hub drivers show up as installed. USB 3 Seagate drive isn't recognized as USB 3 in any USB 3 port and neither is a USB 3 thumb drive. Manual for MB says not to install USB 3 drivers with a USB 3 keyboard or mouse plugged in. It doesn't say anything about external drives. USB 3 ports worked when system was Windows 7.

Reaction score
Most of those devices should be backward compatible with USB 2.0 so perhaps the chipset driver needs to be updated.

There is a new update today if you haven't gotten that far you might wait and continue with recent updates.

I will check the motherboard for drivers.

Edit: There is a chipset driver from June 2017 if you don't have that.

Reaction score
Most of those devices should be backward compatible with USB 2.0 so perhaps the chipset driver needs to be updated.

There is a new update today if you haven't gotten that far you might wait and continue with recent updates.

I will check the motherboard for drivers.

Edit: There is a chipset driver from June 2017 if you don't have that.

Thanks. I assume you mean a chipset driver for the MB.?

Reaction score
Yes, from ASUS for the Motherboard if you do not already have it. There are a couple more drivers and since you just upgraded to Win 10, maybe you need the ones listed.

But normally it seems USB 3.0 drivers go on top of USB 2.0 drivers, which are normally in the chipset.

Reaction score
Yes, from ASUS for the Motherboard if you do not already have it. There are a couple more drivers and since you just upgraded to Win 10, maybe you need the ones listed.

But normally it seems USB 3.0 drivers go on top of USB 2.0 drivers, which are normally in the chipset.

I'll check the driver update and see if it makes a difference. The update to Windows 10 wasn't recent. I updated to Win 10 when it became available. I've just been living with the problem.

Ask a Question