Is Live Mail really going?

BML

Reaction score
Every so often I read that Windows is to stop supporting Live Mail. Is that true and if so what do they suggest as a replacement?

Reaction score
Windows supports Outlook now, and have done for over twelve months or so. You will be redirected to MS Outlook when you attempt to access your Live Mail. You should have the ability to sign into Outlook with your same Live Mail credentials.

Reaction score
I believe BML is writing about Windows Live Mail, a desktop program. I t still works, and will continue to work, but will not synchronise with other items in Windows 10.
It, also, has problems, deliberately created by MS, if you use an outlook.com email address. Normal 3rd party pop addresses should continue to work as usual..
However, if you wish to continue to use the online Outlook .com email address, you can reconfigure Live mail a little to achieve this.
I have detailed the alterations needed in another thread.:

Post #23, here:
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/accessing-hotmail-in-windows-10.11292/page-2#post-54972

T_J

Reaction score
I've been using Windows Live Mail for several years (windows 7 free upgrade to 10), currently using Windows Live Mail 2012 (Gmail and pop3) with Windows 10.

Yesterday I tried the Windows Mail app which is included with Windows 10. My gmail account setup perfectly, while my pop3 ISP email had problems and could not finish setup. I noticed a thread [Hotwire Cannon, Feb 12, 2016] couldn't get pop3 to work in Windows 10 Mail app; but I didn't see that he ever got it working, so I did a Bing search. To get the pop3 email to work on my desktop I went to Settings / Privacy / and turned on Let apps access my calendar [CALENDAR]; and turned on Let apps access my contacts [CONTACTS]. In the Contacts one, I left apps in list turned off. Now pop3 was working. Not as fancy as Windows Live Mail, but it's working and is free (I hope).

Windows 10 Mail app (version 17.7466.41227.0)
Probably use only the Mail app soon, and keep Windows Live Mail 2012 for emergency use only. :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Why not just use a 3rd party mail client and not have to bother about what MS does. Thunderbird or Mailbird and there are others. They will do POP, IMAP perfectly, have rules, multiple folders all the good stuff. Or spend some bucks and get the REAL Outlook which I must admit I find is too complicated for me!

Reaction score
I do have MSOutlook. also. I use the three, but only for the purpose of comparison.
I don't find MsOutlook too complicated, but it is over endowed with unwanted features, for me. Windows Live mail is just about as perfect as a desktop mail program gets. I cannot see any valid reason why MS would have wished to drop it for the inadequate "Mail". They could easily have incorporated it into Windows 10.
I triede Thunderbird. An excellent program. The one flaw for me was, in my old age, I needed the popup calendar with reminders, alongside. I had difficulties getting it to work, with the same ease that I had with WLM.

Reaction score
Live Mail is just an email client. It won't stop running it just won't get updates after support is dropped. You can keep it or move to another email client.

Reaction score
Live Mail is just an email client. It won't stop running it just won't get updates after support is dropped. You can keep it or move to another email client.
I wouldn't recommend running it after support is dropped, simply because of security reasons. The mail app included in Windows 10 is better anyhow since it is fully integrated within the operating system and will be kept up-to-date with current mail servers/etc.

I set up my domain's email (hosted with OVH) on the Mail app and everything was ready-to-go right away.

Ask a Question