Accessing Hotmail In Windows 10

Reaction score
Allan To save time and grief, I personally would just sign up with Outlook and create a new account.
If you use the same credentials as in the defunct Hotmail, it may (don't hold your breath) just find and link you to your old account to Outlook like it did when MS made the big switch? Good Luck!

https://outlook.live.com/owa/?authRedirect=true

I can't go to Outlook without re-directing to the same page that is giving me trouble. Virus? Glitch associated only with this unit? User error? I was able to go to Yahoo and get another page. I can probably generate a Yahoo email but don't really want to...is there some way I can contact Hotmail/outlook/live/msn and get some answers from them?

Reaction score
Allan To save time and grief, I personally would just sign up with Outlook and create a new account.
If you use the same credentials as in the defunct Hotmail, it may (don't hold your breath) just find and link you to your old account to Outlook like it did when MS made the big switch? Good Luck!

I just want to make a note here that this issue is not solved. There have been a few developments, but overall I am not getting the results I want. I appreciate everyone's help but so far there are just not enough bread crumbs to find my way back.

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of my set up. I have modified the servers, as you can see .This corresponds to the new online outlook server definitions:

Untitled1.png

Untitled2.png

Untitled3.png

Untitled4.png

Reaction score
I don't know what you're showing me. I'm not familiar with those screens...don't know how to get to them, don't know how to use them, don't know what they are supposed to look like. Sorry.

Reaction score
Sorry. Confusing, even more, a confusing thread!

I intended the post for a Windows Live Mail query, and got into this thread by mistake. Disregard.

Trouble. Could you delete my post with the clips. It is a red herring!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Could be you're in the correct thread, but I'm not pc literate enough to decipher your post. It happens.

Reaction score
No. Don't put yourself down. Literate is a word I try to avoid when dealing with Computer problems. The very younger generation will grow up with using them as a handy tool. Us older guys have had to learn the hard way .For example, if you (maybe yourself) know someone who is 100% ignorant about computer usage, then my wife is a stage further down than that, but uses her Email and internet daily.

Anyway, back to the thread. It has become very confusing for most. I am starting again at the beginning, and trying to put your problem together. I'll post back if someone else doesn't clarify your problem. For what it is worth, the earlier thread you were seeking was
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/unable-to-access-hotmail.4450/page-2#post-28806

Reaction score
No. Don't put yourself down. Literate is a word I try to avoid when dealing with Computer problems. The very younger generation will grow up with using them as a handy tool. Us older guys have had to learn the hard way .For example, if you (maybe yourself) know someone who is 100% ignorant about computer usage, then my wife is a stage further down than that, but uses her Email and internet daily.

Anyway, back to the thread. It has become very confusing for most. I am starting again at the beginning, and trying to put your problem together. I'll post back if someone else doesn't clarify your problem. For what it is worth, the earlier thread you were seeking was
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/unable-to-access-hotmail.4450/page-2#post-28806
Lets start at the bottom.

Open here:

Sig in with your Hotmail username and password.

Post back what happens

Perhaps literacy is the wrong term, but keeping up with computer changes is just a massive headache for me. It seems wrong that a company will build a product, sell the product, and then refuse to support that product. The only way I know to avoid the headaches is to refuse to buy the product. That solution sounds slightly more Dark Ages than not understanding the silly thing, but that's pretty close to where I am.

A friend once told me that to understand the computer, one must think like the computer. Of course, I believe that's all wrong. Computers are only an extension of human thought, made to be much quicker. Computer science isn't particularly accessible to most of us, because the designers don't think about how the uninitiated will gain access. The designers will say the whole process is intuitive, while it's really not. None of it is intuitive. My experience in computing in a nutshell: push a button or attempt to perform a function when you don't know exactly what you are doing...you are a thousand times more likely to damage the computer than you are to gain a positive result.

I haven't been happy with this computer since the day I bought it, just about a year ago.

Reaction score
I tried the link you posted. It directs me to a security page to gmail, which is not what I wanted to see. The phone number listed as (a security code?) was wrong...I don't want to change it because I don't know what's going to be on the next screen. Lost. Lost. Lost.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I know my inbox still exists, because I can access it via a computer equipped with Windows 7.
Hi Alan.
This thread is rapidly becoming somewhat circular.
Would you mind describing how, you manage to "access it via a computer equipped with Windows 7"?
Do you use a web browser on that machine? IF so, which one?
OR
Do you use some other method? IF so what exactly are you clicking to see your "in box" using that machine.

Your response to dave's suggestion.....
It directs me to a security page to gmail
Might suggest that you've linked your gmail email account to your Microsoft Account, perhaps when you first set-up this computer and maybe even.... you are using that account to log on to the computer when you start it up, and consequently the two are now intertwined and causing the resulting confusion

Obviously you have a gmail account which you have used at some point as well as a hotmail account.
Unfortunately, you may have chosen the wrong one on initial setup.
Perhaps if you open "Settings" -> "Accounts" -> "Email & app accounts"
You should see your "accounts" listed or maybe just a single account..... your gmail account.

It would be helpful for you to tell us, what you see listed there.
AND
IF not listed already..... that might be a good place to "Add an account" to add your Microsoft Account / hotmail email

Reaction score
via Windows 7:
- start
- password
- internet explorer, leading to aol home page
- drop down menu to Hotmail
- username
- password
at that point, I have an inbox...I can see messages that are 12 or 15 years old. I can write new messages, save drafts, all that stuff.

via Windows 10:
- start
- password
- Microsoft edge, leading to an MSN home page. I'd rather have the aol home page, but no amount of persuasion will convince Windows 10 to do so.
- I can drop down to a Hotmail prompt, or I can go to the address bar and type in Hotmail.com or outlook live .com, but no matter how I approach Hotmail, I get a page that is utterly useless.

Yes I do have a gmail account. I don't like gmail but I use it to contact family. We used the gmail account as part of activating the computer, but it shouldn't make any difference. The computer does what it wants to do. I probably screwed up somewhere along the line, but that's to be expected. I've probably screwed up a thousand times on these computers.

I think I added the Hotmail account, but I still can't access Hotmail so I can work with it.

Now. I've discovered a little box in the extreme right lower corner of the monitor. If the little box has a numeral in it, I have mail. I can click on that little box and I will see my inbox. I suppose if I have mail in both of these accounts, I will see both inboxes. I can answer and send mail and I can use the links to get back to forums where I have received messages, such as this forum. However, once I close the email function, I cannot use the little box for email access. It's as useless as the other method of achieving my emails UNLESS it shows I have an unread message.

You're right: this conversation has turned circular. Isn't that about what happens when a person is lost in the forest? Wander around until you get back to where you started? I know the feeling well.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF you are getting notifications regarding mail, that would suggest that the native Mail App is working.
What happens when you click the mail tile in the start menu of select "Mail" from the apps list?

Reaction score
Now, that's actually helpful, Trouble. Up until maybe 5 minutes ago, I had never clicked the envelope in the applications section. Not once in 20 years of computing. Meaning, there had never been a reason to. Clicking the envelope gives me both the gmail box and the Hotmail box.

It still doesn't show my inbox the way I'm used to seeing it, where all my saved messages for 10-15 years are right where I can see them within a page flip or two. It's better than a stick in the eye. Not sure the "message search" option is worth much...I'd have to memorize something from the email title.

There probably isn't an envelope app in Windows 7. I won't know until I go look at it again.

Reaction score
in addition to my post #11
you may need to adjust your 'Download email from' to 'any time'

when you click on Settings, click on Manage Accounts, click on a hotmail account (see attached 01),

Mail Manage Accounts.jpg

click on Change mailbox sync settings (see attached 02)

Change Mailbox sync settings.jpg

click on the dropdown arrow in Download new content, select your choice from the options
check or uncheck the box Always download full message & Internet images (your choice)

click on the dropdown arrow in Download email from, select your choice from the options

Server should be auto preset

Sync options Email should be On

Hotmail sync settings.jpg

click on Done

click on Save

Gmail Account is simiar with more On / Off Sync options

Reaction score
Rather than reenter and confuse further. Trouble can direct you as to how to get your homepage(AOL) back again. Not too complicated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Now, that's actually helpful, Trouble.
LOL..... we aim to please...... or at least try.
Trouble can direct you as to how to get your homepage(AOL) back again. Not too complicated.
OK, I'll try, although the technique varies from browser to browser, it seems that you are intent on using Edge so we'll start there
Open Edge
Top right hand corner, click the three dot elipsis and choose settings.
Second drop box down from the top labeled "Open Microsoft Edge with....
Drop it down and choose "A specific page or pages"
IF there is anything just below that click the "X" next to that to get rid of it and then physically type......
aol.com
Click the little "Save" icon just to the right of your entry.
Close and reopen Edge.

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I'll have some time in a few days and I'll try to follow the your instructions. I'll definitely report back.

Ask a Question