Accessing Hotmail In Windows 10

Reaction score
Hotmail has disappeared from my windows 10 computer. I was reading a thread here detailing ladyfisher's similar struggles and I would have added to that thread if I could find it again. I am not computer savvy, so I would like to avoid confusing terms like "browser" and "screen shot." I do not know how to tell you what's going on - all I know is that Windows 10 doesn't act the way I'd like it to. Hotmail is not my only issue. It's just the first issue.

Even the "create thread" option here is confusing. I'd rather see a "post" option.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello alan and welcome to the forum.
Please do not take offense, as I certainly do not intend any such thing but......
IF terms like "browser" and "screen shot" cause you difficulties then perhaps you might consider
http://www.dummies.com/store/produc...ummies-2nd-Edition.productCd-1119310563.html#
You might try shopping around for a less expensive resource https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...for+dummies&rh=i:aps,k:windows+10+for+dummies
OR check your local library.
When I first began I had a bookshelf full of them.

As far as "accessing Hotmail"......
Click the "Start button" (Windows logo button, bottom left most area of your desktop)
Scroll down to "Windows Accessories" and click to expand and select "Internet Explorer"
That will open "Internet Explorer" (a "browser" or web browser)
In the very top is a "URL address bar" simply type Hotmail.com there and hit the enter key on your keyboard.
Type in your Hotmail user name and password.

Capture1.PNG

I would suggest using the local / native Windows 10 "Mail" app, which should, after some basic configuration, facilitate your "accessing" your Hotmail account, but that might be a bridge too far and a topic for a little bit later after you familiarize yourself a bit more with your computer, its' operating system and the user interface, which takes a bit of time, patience and effort.

Reaction score
In other words, Hotmail is not available through Edge, but only through Internet Explorer?

You are right..."basic configuration" doesn't sound attractive to me. A bridge too far indeed. As I said, the Hotmail problem is only the first of several. Hotmail first became unusable several months ago...it went through a period where the image on the screen flipped back and forth in a never-ending loop. Seems like that problem fixed itself with no help from me...I just left Hotmail alone for a couple of weeks and when I tried it again, it was fine. Now, it looks like I've been funneled into Outlook, with no discernable inbox or any way to make or receive messages.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In other words, Hotmail is not available through Edge, but only through Internet Explorer?
No I didn't say that. I only mentioned IE as I thought it might be a slightly more familiar interface for you.
Hotmail should be available with any browser including Edge, Firefox, Chrome, etc.
Isn't Hotmail now just a proxy name for Windows Mail?
As far as I know, I believe that Hotmail.com, outlook.com, live.com, msn.com, etc., have all been melded under the Outlook.com umbrella.

Reaction score
The comments above are correct. It is still possible to use the name "Hotmail", as MS have arranged it to proxy to its now correct name "Outlook.
If you try to browse to Hotmail, in accordance to Troubles suggestion, you will find yourself on the site for outlook. This will make no difference to your use of the Email service but, with an eye on the future, it might be a good idea to get your subscribers ( and yourself) to try changing the address to outlook.
FWIW. Hotmail as a name, ceased to exist in the earlier party of 2013

Reaction score
On the Windows 10 computer, it looks like any attempt to enter Hotmail redirects to a page where no messages are visible. Nothing seems to work. I know my inbox still exists, because I can access it via a computer equipped with Windows 7.

I have a Windows 10 for Dummies book, but I haven't discovered anything helpful to my specific problem. As far as understanding how the computer and this operating system works, I seriously doubt that can happen. I wouldn't know where to begin, and I tend to swim in a very small bowl. Real computing might be limited to people who embrace change, but I'm not interested in doing a whole lot with the computer anyway. In my world, losing the access to Hotmail is a cataclysmic event.

Please do not take offense, as I certainly do not intend any such thing but......
IF terms like "browser" and "screen shot" cause you difficulties then perhaps you might consider
http://www.dummies.com/store/produc...ummies-2nd-Edition.productCd-1119310563.html#
You might try shopping around for a less expensive resource https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=windows+10+for+dummies&rh=i:aps,k:windows+10+for+dummies

Click the "Start button" (Windows logo button, bottom left most area of your desktop)
Scroll down to "Windows Accessories" and click to expand and select "Internet Explorer"
In the very top is a "URL address bar" simply type Hotmail.com there and hit the enter key on your keyboard.

View attachment 4371

I would suggest using the local / native Windows 10 "Mail" app, which should, after some basic configuration, facilitate your "accessing" your Hotmail account, but that might be a bridge too far and a topic for a little bit later after you familiarize yourself a bit more with your computer, its' operating system and the user interface, which takes a bit of time, patience and effort.
Hot mail no longer exists. What you will now see is Outlook.com because your Hotmail account was automatically upgraded to Outlook. Hotmail customers who were upgraded automatically to Outlook.com were notified in advance via email maybe 2 years back. I remember receiving the email from MS but not the exact date.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...stead-of/be3fb8d7-01b3-4aee-aac1-64d078d575de
Hot mail no longer exists. What you will now see is Outlook.com because your Hotmail account was automatically upgraded to Outlook. Hotmail customers who were upgraded automatically to Outlook.com were notified in advance via email maybe 2 years back. I remember receiving the email from MS but not the exact date.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...stead-of/be3fb8d7-01b3-4aee-aac1-64d078d575de
You might try shopping around for a less expensive resource https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=windows+10+for+dummies&rh=i:aps,k:windows+10+for+dummies

View attachment 4371

Reaction score
Apologies. I see, when looking through these posts, that none of us included the details of assessing your internet mail. Perhaps Troubles directions might have helped?
But, open your browser. In the address at the top, delete whatever is there and copy and paste
https://outlook.live.com/owa/

Login there with your usual credentials and password.

You can, if you wish, setup any extra items you need, from there, by selecting the cog wheel, top left.
Now. Your very first mentioned problem "Hotmail has disappeared from my windows 10 computer". How were you accessing it? My memory may fail me, but I don't recall a built in link to the mail. Were you using a third party mail program?

However, for expediency, if you are using Internet explorer, right click in an empty space in it, and select "Create shortcut". In the small paneled popup, say Yes. You will then have a shortcut to the internet site on your desktop.

Reaction score
have you tried the Windows 10 Mail app ?
click on Start, Mail,
click on Settings, click on Manage Accounts (see attached 01)

click on + Add account, click on Outlook.com - Outlook.com, Live.com, Hotmail,MSN (see attached 02)

if you are logged onto windows 10 with your hotmail msn account, you will see it listed in 'Choose an account'
click on it to add that as your mail account, or click 'Microsoft Account' if you wish to add a different hotmail account (see attached 03)

if you are not logged onto windows 10 with your hotmail msn account, you will see 'Add your microsoft account' (see attached 04)
login with your hotmail account & password, you should see your emails in there,
you may need to select Inbox under Folders & Sync

mail app 01.jpg mail app 02.jpg mail app 03.jpg mail app 04.jpg

Reaction score
Alan Yes it will redirect your MS account page. On the left hand side you will see your account profile and a greeting "Hello" just below the greeting you will see your profile and a link Looking for your MS Mail?
View Inbox.
2. Or you can type Hot mail in the search box and it will give you options and explanations of Hot Mail changes.
3. Just follow Dave's suggestion and use the Outlook Link https://outlook.live.com/owa/

Reaction score
Not sure,but I believe if you are logged on with a "ms live" account, Windows Mail automatically picks up your details?

Reaction score
davehc Yes it does, account profile and much more.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    7 KB · Views: 762
Reaction score
As has been stated in this thread. There is, no longer, anything called a "Hotmail" account If this address is used, either through Email or as a browser address,, you will be automatically redirected to the new live mail (outlook) address.

In the second link given, the information given by the "moderator" (Leilani.p,), is in error, quote
"I'd like to inform you that emails sent to @hotmail.com will not be received to account @outlook.com because it is 2 different accounts. "

You can still receive and send to your Hotmail account, but it is a definite possibility that this may change in the future, and, anyone using Hotmail, should start proceedings to inform there contacts of the change.
Leilan's info may be iin error, due to its age (about 4 years ago) But thye hread is very long and eventually becomes more current.
In fact, recently it has changed again and is now outlook.live.com

Don't take this remark as authorative, but, one of my family, being a little lazy, still uses his Hotmail send/receive account successfully. I have told him that one day he might find the whole thing gone, with his contact6s unable to reach him, but he heeds it not.

Reaction score
This reply is to all previous messages, partly because I am having a lot of difficulty navigating this forum.

I tried the suggestion to go to Start, Mail, Settings, Manage Accounts, Add Account. I also tried the suggestion to type in https://outlook.llive.com/owa/. Both of these routes give me the same page that has stumped me previously. In the address bar, it says "outlook.live.com/owa." In a bold black bar across the top of the page, it says "Outlook Mail." Along the left vertical border it has the options: Inbox, Junk Mail, Drafts, Sent Items, Deleted Items, Archive. These folders are empty.

I haven't the foggiest idea what to do or how to do it and I'm discouraged.

As has been stated in this thread. There is, no longer, anything called a "Hotmail" account If this address is used, either through Email or as a browser address,, you will be automatically redirected to the new live mail (outlook) address.

In the second link given, the information given by the "moderator" (Leilani.p,), is in error, quote
"I'd like to inform you that emails sent to @hotmail.com will not be received to account @outlook.com because it is 2 different accounts. "

You can still receive and send to your Hotmail account, but it is a definite possibility that this may change in the future, and, anyone using Hotmail, should start proceedings to inform there contacts of the change.
Leilan's info may be iin error, due to its age (about 4 years ago) But thye hread is very long and eventually becomes more current.
In fact, recently it has changed again and is now outlook.live.com

Don't take this remark as authorative, but, one of my family, being a little lazy, still uses his Hotmail send/receive account successfully. I have told him that one day he might find the whole thing gone, with his contact6s unable to reach him, but he heeds it not.

Reaction score
"it says "outlook.live.com/owa." In a bold black bar across the top of the page, it says "Outlook Mail." Along the left vertical border it has the options: Inbox, Junk Mail, Drafts, Sent Items, Deleted Items, Archive. These folders are empty."

So? Isn't that your mailbox? No idea though, why the boxes are empty. Try sending yourself a mail from the page.

Click

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
"it says "outlook.live.com/owa." In a bold black bar across the top of the page, it says "Outlook Mail." Along the left vertical border it has the options: Inbox, Junk Mail, Drafts, Sent Items, Deleted Items, Archive. These folders are empty."

So? Isn't that your mailbox? No idea though, why the boxes are empty. Try sending yourself a mail from the page.

Click

View attachment 4382

The box that shows up under outlook/live is a gmail account that is apparently a default email account. I'm not terribly familiar with gmail and don't use it much. I think we used it to set up the computer when we bought it. Today I sent an email from the gmail account to my missing Hotmail account. I'm sure I will see the message when I open Hotmail on my Windows 7 computer, but there is no way (at present) to open Hotmail on the Windows 10 computer.

As I said, I don't often use gmail. After using Hotmail for years, gmail for me is clumsy work. Even so, on my Windows 7 computer, I can at least explore gmail. On the Windows 10 computer, gmail looks as dead as Hotmail.

My opinion at this point is that Windows 10 is junk, much as Windows 8 and 8.1 are junk. A few months ago I was in a battle to the death with Microsoft, trying to keep them from turning my Windows 7 unit into a Windows 10 piece of junk. Microsoft did it on their own. Can't recall how I got it reversed, but I did. However, I think Microsoft will try it again...because they are Microsoft and they think they know what I want.

I don't play games on my computer, don't watch movies or tv on my computer, don't use Skype of any phone services on my computer, don't pay bills or make purchases on my computer, don't bank on my computer, don't download apps except for Pandora on my computer...man, I don't even save bookmarks on my computer. I don't use spreadsheet programs or database programs, I don't use paint programs. I hardly even use Word. When I use Word, I don't bother with any advanced aspects of Word...I just type. I like the aol homepage (which I cannot get this computer to go to directly...I'm forced to an MSN homepage first) I read email, jump directly from email to a select forum or two, use Google, Wiki, baseball-reference.com and mlb.com. I really enjoy ripping vinyl albums to mp3...since purchasing the Windows 10 computer ten months ago, I haven't been able to do that either. I'm very unhappy with this machine. Getting Hotmail capability back will help...it would be a nice first step in finding what else is wrong with this silly thing.

I don't doubt I am at fault in some major way in the way this computer responds to my wishes, but I cannot tell you what I did wrong, what I did right, or anything else. I don't know.

I feel that the information I give you in my posts make it sound like I've only owned a computer for a few months. I've had a computer in my house for ten years, and my Hotmail accounts are nearly 20 years old. However, I don't get computers...don't understand them even a little bit. And I don't really know anyone in real life that knows any more than I do. I don't know what else to say.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Allan To save time and grief, I personally would just sign up with Outlook and create a new account.
If you use the same credentials as in the defunct Hotmail, it may (don't hold your breath) just find and link you to your old account to Outlook like it did when MS made the big switch? Good Luck!

https://outlook.live.com/owa/?authRedirect=true

Ask a Question