Windows Live Mail reverts to 3 year old contact list?

Reaction score
A friend's Windows Live Mail (version 16.4.3528.331 in Windows 10) has reverted to a contacts list from 3 years ago. Any ideas how this could happen and how to fix it? They live 500 miles away so I can't see what's happened directly. It's not like it's just forgotten some, it's put ones in that she'd deleted.

Reaction score
Hi hucker,

is your friend using a local account or an MS one?, if they have things stored in the cloud, it will most likely default to that when doing a reset/fresh install when using an MS account!. :):):)

Reaction score
No resetting or installing has been done, it just happened suddenly. And if she does use the cloud, why is the cloud 3 years out of date?

Reaction score
I was once a user of Live Mail
In those days (I still have the info ) the conatcs were stored in
C:/Users/{USERNAME}/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows Live/Contacts/

I doubt if this in anything to do with the current Ms cloud service - it would not sync.
Perhaps your friend has revived an old copy of the OS or Live Mail?

Reaction score
This thread piqued my curiosity.

I use outlook/live so I set out to compose an email. In the To: I entered a single letter and was surprised at what all came up. There were email addresses of all sorts, many that I don't recall ever using.

Like this one: "(e-mail address removed)" <[email protected]> which is the r4esult of entering pv in the To: box. If I knew that addressee, I am certain that I would recall.

I have no indication that this is a problem but it certainly a Big Surprise.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I apologize. Windows Live vs outlook/live. I learn something new everyday. I believe I made the wrong association because access to my Outlook (email) requires a MS password thus Windows Live.:oops:

More homework.:(

Reaction score
I was once a user of Live Mail
In those days (I still have the info ) the conatcs were stored in
C:/Users/{USERNAME}/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows Live/Contacts/

I doubt if this in anything to do with the current Ms cloud service - it would not sync.
Perhaps your friend has revived an old copy of the OS or Live Mail?

Unless she has more than one login to the PC (which I don't think she does), surely it can only be stored in one folder: C:/Users/{USERNAME}/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows Live/Contacts/

Where could another copy be stored?

In the meantime I'll email her to ask if other things have changed - presumably changing to an old copy would have changed everything else - eg. the contents of inbox, sent, etc.

Reaction score
No resetting or installing has been done, it just happened suddenly. And if she does use the cloud, why is the cloud 3 years out of date?
The cloud has a long memory!!. There may be something saved there that needs to be removed??. I use a local account myself not an MS one. ;););)

Reaction score
I also use a local account (why on earth would I want my personal data on a Microsoft server?!), not sure what she uses. All I know is she had terrible trouble upgrading to 10 from 7/8 she had before. It would just keep downloading it and getting stuck. I eventually had to download an offline upgrade on CD and post it to her, so I wasn't there when it was upgraded, so I don't know if she used a proper login or not.

Reaction score
Hi hucker,

then check with her to find out whether or not she uses a local account and/or a cloud account. :):):)

Reaction score
I think it's beyond her abilities to find that out. Microsoft really shouldn't have started this cloud nonsense, they make things more and more complicated every time. Nobody I know wants Microsoft spying on their data, we all just want normal bloody local accounts! Why would I want my private emails available on their server?

Reaction score
Again, I am the uneducated member of this forum. However, I am gaining some valuable knowledge.

Cloud vs Local Account. Is my gmail account local? Is my One Drive in the Clouds? OR

Are the only local accounts (files and folders) those I maintain on my HDDs?

When I imagine my HD with Macrium Refect have I created something other than a local account?

Reaction score
I think it's beyond her abilities to find that out. Microsoft really shouldn't have started this cloud nonsense, they make things more and more complicated every time. Nobody I know wants Microsoft spying on their data, we all just want normal bloody local accounts! Why would I want my private emails available on their server?
I gave you a "Like", but, unfortunately, many other programs now have the "cloud" feature, sometimes mandatory

Reaction score
I gave you a "Like", but, unfortunately, many other programs now have the "cloud" feature, sometimes mandatory

But the question remains. Are local accounts only those that are on a users HD? I thought that One Drive was local to my machine..

Reaction score
Here is what One Drive is all about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OneDrive ;)

During the installation of Win 10, you must ignore the MS prompt to sign in with an MS account and select the option to use a local account (highlighted below the MS account option), you must just be careful otherwise they will try and force the user to use an MS account by confusing the average user during the install process. :mad:

Reaction score
It getting a little out of context with the thread title, but, just to add a correction to a couple of posts. It is not necessary to log in to a local account to stop using OneDrive. In fact, you can still use it, if you wish, from a local account.
All you need to do is to stop the sync to OneDrive - done.

Reaction score
P.S. "Nobody I know wants Microsoft spying on their data, we all just want normal bloody local accounts!"

this observation comes up frequently on forums. I do not, when it can ve avoided, use any cloud services, with the thought that those out there, who are cleverer than I, can get in and spy on my private business.
However, having said that, I honestly feel that Microsoft, who wrote the code for windows, would have more subtle ways to gain access to you work than such an obvious way in.

Ask a Question