SOLVED Outbox created in Windows Live Mail all by itself

Reaction score
I tried unsuccessfully at first to create a new Email account in Windows Live Mail and wound up deleting it. But this orphaned Outbox was left behind with nothing in it and no way to remove it. I've got several Email addresses created on this with their own individual Outboxes but this particular one is all by itself and asking to be removed. Is there a way possible for that indeed to be removed?

Reaction score
Possibly there is mail, during your experiments, stuck in the Outbox.
You will probably need to go offline to delete the mail and the outbox, so
Click the "Work OffLine" in the top bar.
Now open the offending Outbox and see fif there is anything in it.. If so, delete or move it somewhere else.
You should be able to delete the Outbox folder.
For info
Windows Live mail was abandoned some time ago, in Windows 10. To continue to use it, you might find problems when major updates come along, for Windows 10
I would recommend you change your Mail program. You might find the built in Mail program sufficient. Next best would be the Online Outlook.

Reaction score
Hi Lawrence, if there's any error message? Let me know, thank you!

Thank you for the reply Annie. There is no error message but this Folder in my judgment is orphaned. It is attached to no other Email Account. It's just sitting there like it's normal or something but it isn't. I'm finding no way to remove it and it seems to me if its detached from everything else, there should be a way to get rid of it.

Reaction score
Have you tried my suggestion?

You can also look in
C:\Users\ username \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail, The loose folder may be there.

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply Annie. There is no error message but this Folder in my judgment is orphaned. It is attached to no other Email Account. It's just sitting there like it's normal or something but it isn't. I'm finding no way to remove it and it seems to me if its detached from everything else, there should be a way to get rid of it.
Hi Lawrence,

You cannot remove the outbox as it is one vital stage on a message's way to the intended recipient.

In your case, something may have caused a problem with passing messages from the outbox to your ISP's mail server. There are any number of reasons why this might happen, but there will normally be an error message to indicate where the problem lies. To troubleshoot, then:
  1. Click Work offline. This will release the program's handle on any message it's trying to send.
  2. Click on Outbox in the folder pane
    Asterisk-Red.png
    Asterisk-Red.png
    , then remove any unsent messages from it. Make sure that you can see all messages: on the View tab, click Filter messages and select Show all messages.
  3. Start a new mail message (Ctrl-N) and address it to yourself. Give it a meaningful subject like Test 1 so that you can distinguish it from other test messages that you might have to send. Write a few words in the body of the message. If you have more than one account, check that the right one is showing in the From box to the right of the To... box.
  4. Click Send. You will of course have to click Go online to be able to connect to your ISP.
What happens?
  • If you see an error message, please click on it to select it, then use right-click to copy it and paste it into your reply here.
  • If you don't see an error message, do you see Error
    Poison-Warning-inline.png
    in the bottom right-hand corner of the window? Click on it to open the send/receive progress window. Error messages will be on the Errors tab.
Asterisk-Red.png
When viewing your message list, press Ctrl-Shift-O for Options. You should find this one on the Send tab.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Possibly there is mail, during your experiments, stuck in the Outbox.
You will probably need to go offline to delete the mail and the outbox, so
Click the "Work OffLine" in the top bar.
Now open the offending Outbox and see fif there is anything in it.. If so, delete or move it somewhere else.
You should be able to delete the Outbox folder.
For info
Windows Live mail was abandoned some time ago, in Windows 10. To continue to use it, you might find problems when major updates come along, for Windows 10
I would recommend you change your Mail program. You might find the built in Mail program sufficient. Next best would be the Online Outlook.

I've only noticed your reply now. Working offline does nothing to enable me to open it or delete it. The Delete is grayed out.

Reaction score
Ok, looking at another forum, I see the Outbox pictured in the same place I'm seeing it here. Sorry for not seeing (or understanding) that before.

Ask a Question