KB5016688 fails to install

Reaction score
I ran sfc /scannow and it found errors. I tried installing again and it failed again with the same error. So I ran the scan again and it found no errors. I ran it again and no errors.

Reaction score
What is the error code?
Do you have Malwarebytes installed? If yes then this is preventing install of updates for many users, the suggestion is to disable all protection & turn off ‘start protection when Windows starts’ then restart the PC & try downloading the update again. If it still fails then open control panel>Programs & features>Turn Windows features on/off & disable NET 3.5, restart when prompted then try installing again.

Reaction score
I had a problem with that update on a Win10 Notebook with error of Reference_by_Pointer and would restart. In checking the 10-year-old Notebook found other issue so first time in its life it got a clean install. Other machines have no issue with it but I have a couple more to do.

Reaction score
What is the error code?
Do you have Malwarebytes installed? If yes then this is preventing install of updates for many users, the suggestion is to disable all protection & turn off ‘start protection when Windows starts’ then restart the PC & try downloading the update again. If it still fails then open control panel>Programs & features>Turn Windows features on/off & disable NET 3.5, restart when prompted then try installing again.
The error code is 0x800f085. Also,I found this on the Microsoft site.

Since a few days I try to download and install KB5016688 but keep getting or if it does work I have the following problems:

No sound in the taskbar
no internet,
long before starting up,
the icons in the taskbar don't appear immediately,
also a sinner in the taskbar,
black screen during startup.

I am forced to delete the KB every time, to restart it to make windows run normally again.
I tried this several times.
Guided by microsoft support, yesterday, my computer was tinkered with, among other things, an appropriate latest version of windows to to fix any eventual problems with downloaded updat KBs etc...
After about two houres...restart laptop...same problems.
Because I can't prevent downloading and installing the KB in question, I remove it after updating...
I hope for a solution but...

So with the previous I don't think I am going to install this update.

Reaction score
I think that update was a preview. The update should have been optional.

I wouldn't worry too much about it as it will come later under another definition number.

Reaction score
If the update is optional or a update preview then you can either ignore it or block it:
You can use this MS tool to show & hide problematic drivers or updates:
You can also try the windows update minitool to block the update permanently:

Ask a Question