SOLVED Keyboard(s) on Touchscreen Computer do not work

Reaction score
A friend called me and told me that she could not logon to her computer. I went over and I found a touchscreen computer with a wireless keyboard. When I hit a key on the wireless keyboard, the computer clicked, as if I was typing on a mechanical keyboard. I tried various methods, but could not get the keyboard strokes to register. I was, however, able to use the "on screen" keyboard to login and do what necessary keyboarding I had to do.

Assuming her wireless keyboard was faulty, I connected a USB keyboard. Again, each time I depressed a key, a "click" was heard, but the keystroke was not registered.

One idea that just came to me is that there may be a setting to turn off a keyboard if the "on screen" keyboard is on. Could that be the problem?

Reaction score
I should also add that while i was working on her computer, i ran the Keyboard Troubleshooter, which found no problems

Reaction score
Type "Keyboard" in the search box, there are many options for keyboards, wireless, and touch.

Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestion as, while, it did not solve the problem, it set me in the correct direction.

I noticed an icon in the system tray "filter keys". I wondered what it was and went into the filter keys settings ... and what did I find? I found that by unchecking filter keys, both keyboards, the wireless keyboard and the usb keyboard, worked properly again. Problem solved. Apparently, filter keys are to be used only with the onscreen keyboard.

Ask a Question