Keyboard won't always work.

Reaction score
I have no clue if this is in the right forum or not, but I've got a rather pressing matter on my hands....

About a month ago my eight (8)yo brother stepped on my laptop (a Toshiba, couple years old), and it began to show crack-like shapes on my screen. This wasn't a big issue, as I can see around most of them and deal with them.

However, today I opened my laptop, attempted to login with my password, and found it wouldn't enter. I have a USB keyboard and track pad from Logitech (I've been using it for nearly a year or so now, and I love it.).

I attempted to try and fix the issue by resetting my laptop (the same issue occurred after about a half hour of resetting and reinstalling windows, twice), and went to the boot menu (where I registered a user password.)

I can type in the registered user password just fine, but when it loads the login screen, it won't type anything, and I have no other computers to use for getting a password reset thing (the option it gives you after attempting, and failing, to put in the password, right under the hint/text box.).

I also attempted to do the system image recovery page (where it says "system image recovery -next line in smaller print- Hi, -user name- -next line smaller print- enter the password for this account. (Keyboard layout:. US and then has a text box for the password), however I was unable to type in this box either.

Hoping to hear back soon,
Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
As long as the mouse works you can click the "ease of access" icon on the login screen (middle icon, bottom right), and select "On-Screen Keyboard". That should get you in to Windows.

Ask a Question