Keyboard won't work

Reaction score
I can't type my password into the sign in box using my keyboard. It won't type anything. None of the keyboard keys will work. I can sign in using the onscreen keyboard.
I'm using a Dell laptop (plugged in, no battery) using win 10 and the built in keyboard. How do I get my keyboard back?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi WandaL,

Welcome to the Forum.

You may be able to troubleshoot your keyboard issue by referring to Dell's Guide on such issues:

http://www.dell.com/support/article...board-usage-and-troubleshooting-guide?lang=EN

Alternately, some users of laptops resolved a non working keyboard by updating their keyboard driver. This may work for you. To do that you'd do the following:
  • Boot computer and using the Ease of access on screen keyboard sign in to Desktop
  • Now right-click on Start and select Device Manager
  • Click on Keyboards to expand
  • If present right-click on Standard PS/2 Keyboard and select Update Driver Software
  • Now click on Browse my computer for driver software
  • Next click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
  • Select Standard PS/2 Keyboard then click the Next button
  • Close any open programs.
  • Restart computer

Regards,

Regedit32

Regedit32

Reaction score
I assume you mean you tried updating that driver.

If that made no difference your best bet would be to default to the link I posted where Dell provide troubleshooting suggestions.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can't type my password into the sign in box using my keyboard. It won't type anything. None of the keyboard keys will work. I can sign in using the onscreen keyboard.
Does your keyboard start working again, after you've managed to sign in using the on-screen keyboard?
Do you have a wired USB keyboard that you could use temporarily to see if that device has the same problem at the sign-in screen?

I see
I'm using a Dell laptop (plugged in, no battery)
IS there any reason to suspect that the keyboard or its' ribbon cable may have been damaged somehow or that ribbon cable might be disconnected or not properly seated in its' interface connection?

Reaction score
Does your keyboard start working again, after you've managed to sign in using the on-screen keyboard?
Do you have a wired USB keyboard that you could use temporarily to see if that device has the same problem at the sign-in screen?

I see

IS there any reason to suspect that the keyboard or its' ribbon cable may have been damaged somehow or that ribbon cable might be disconnected or not properly seated in its' interface connection?

My keyboard still does not respond after using the onscreen keyboard to login.
I don't have a wired keyboard to try.
Sorry, I don't know what a ribbon cable is but if it is external, I don't have one. I don't have anything plugged into my laptop but the power cord since the battery died years ago.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know what a ribbon cable is but if it is external, I don't have one.
Nope, it's internal, in that it is under the keyboard and plugs into the mainboard. So it will require someone with some experience to diagnose that possibility.

Since you no longer use a battery, I can only assume that the laptop is no longer really "portable" in that it needs to be tethered to an AC outlet.
As such..... it might be worth investing in a USB wired keyboard or at least see if you can borrow one to further the diagnostic process.

You can often pick one up quite reasonably for around $10 bucks or so (nothing too fancy).
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb+keyboard

Ask a Question