SOLVED Laptop has lost contact with 2 usb ports. A 3rd port is active.

BEH

Reaction score
I have a 64 bit Dell laptop (~ 6 yrs old) and have Windows 10 on it and all updates applied, nothing pending. I have been having an intermittent issue with 2 USB ports. I seemed to start a couple of months ago but I'm not entirely sure on the timing. I lose contact with them and can't use them. Now it appears they are completely unavailable. A 3rd port has always been active and remains so. I'm certainly not a laptop whizz so I don't know really who to contact or how to proceed. I've spoken very briefly with Dell but they immediately started talking yearly support contracts since the laptop is out of warranty.. No help there...
I've looked at the event logs but I don't what I should be looking for or what may help someone else.

O/S
EDITION - WINDOWS 10 PRO
VERSION - 1809
BUILD - 17763.503

Any help anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated... Now I'm stuck...
thanks Brian

BEH

Reaction score
I have a 64 bit Dell laptop (~ 6 yrs old) and have Windows 10 on it and all updates applied, nothing pending. I have been having an intermittent issue with 2 USB ports. I seemed to start a couple of months ago but I'm not entirely sure on the timing. I lose contact with them and can't use them. Now it appears they are completely unavailable. A 3rd port has always been active and remains so. I'm certainly not a laptop whizz so I don't know really who to contact or how to proceed. I've spoken very briefly with Dell but they immediately started talking yearly support contracts since the laptop is out of warranty.. No help there...
I've looked at the event logs but I don't what I should be looking for or what may help someone else.

The only item of note (I think) is something I noticed in Device Manager. I expanded the USB controllers section and
looked at the properties for each USB. All indicated they were operating correctly with one exception.
There's an entry for: Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible host controller - 0.96 (Microsoft) which indicates it has a problem.
Under Properties:
in the general section it reads: This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.
(Code 24) .
in the driver section: Driver provider - Microsoft
Driver date - 9/14/2018
Driver version - 10.0.17763.1
Digital signer - Microsoft Windows
in the resources section it reads: This device isn't using any resources because it has a problem.

I have absolutely no idea if this is related to my issue or is something that I really shouldn't be concerned about...

machine - Dell 64 bit laptop, ~ 6 yrs old which has been well maintained.
O/S
EDITION - WINDOWS 10 PRO
VERSION - 1809
BUILD - 17763.503

Any help anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated... Now I'm stuck...
thanks Brian

BEH

Reaction score
One item of note (I think) is something I noticed in Device Manager. I expanded the USB controllers section and
looked at the properties for each USB. All indicated they were operating correctly with one exception.
There's an entry for: Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible host controller - 0.96 (Microsoft) which indicates it has a problem.
Under Properties:
in the general section it reads: This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.
(Code 24) .
in the driver section: Driver provider - Microsoft
Driver date - 9/14/2018

Driver version - 10.0.17763.1
Digital signer - Microsoft Windows
in the resources section it reads: This device isn't using any resources because it has a problem.
I have absolutely no idea if this is related to my issue or is something that I really shouldn't be concerned about...

Reaction score
Usually the USB 3 ports will have a blue center piece as do USB 3 cables. Using the Service Tag number usually found on the bottom of the case, in the battery compartment or in the BIOS, go to support.dell.com and look for drivers for it.

Ask a Question