Purchased an open-box Dell laptop, how do I do a fresh install?

Reaction score
Just purchased a Dell laptop from BB (open-boxed) for my son, he's 6, first laptop. He's going to love Santa.
Anyways, I assume that Geek Squad wipes everything before selling it again? However, is their a way to do a fresh install, a reset or whatever you want to call it? I want it back to factory settings.
Windows 10 was preinstalled. Will I need to purchase a Win10 CD to start over? I want the hdd wiped clean, nothing left over, especially any Dell bloatware. I'm not tech savvy with laptops but their is only around 800GB of space left on a 1TB hdd. I know Win10 takes up space but this seems a little much. I have to do this tonight before I wrap it up.

Another dumb question. After I do the reset how do I properly back up Windows in case of a crash, etc.? I have a PC that needs a safety net as well. I have no idea how to back up my PC and now his laptop. Yes, I know it's sad. I just remember back in the day, I had to burn like 10 DVD's do to a backup. I have no idea what method is most highly recommended today & how to do it.
Thanks guys...

Reaction score
You are really going to do this all tonight?
Here is a link to Clean Install instructions;

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

For info just google it which is how I got the link above.

When it is up and running you can remove all the unwanted stuff by using Ccleaner. Here is a link

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

How long is it going to take to just reset Widows 10 back to factory settings?

On Reddit a user posted this to my same question:
IF Geek squad does anything at all to it it is probably just a factory image restore.
here is how to do that
I havn't used This tool but people tell me it works.
Most of the junk can usually be uninstalled via the 'programs and features' tool in the control panel.

So do I follow what you posted or what the Reddit user did? All I want is to make sure that nothing is left over from the previous user. A reset shouldn't take that long, right? I have nothing to backup as my son hasn't used the laptop yet.

Reaction score
How long is it going to take to just reset Widows 10 back to factory settings?

On Reddit a user posted this to my same question:

So do I follow what you posted or what the Reddit user did? All I want is to make sure that nothing is left over from the previous user. A reset shouldn't take that long, right? I have nothing to backup as my son hasn't used the laptop yet.
Sure, reset if you can. Even if you can not activate Windows it can still be used. It is 10:00 PM here so I am going to call it a day. Good luck.

Ask a Question